Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striper eating fest :) Plus some fishing.
Sooo, my sister in Montana was prepping some Walleye to eat Friday night which got me jonsin' for some fish. So had to break out a bag of Stripers after talking with her.

Went with the more "snack" version and hit up the deep fat fryer. Double dipped all for a really crispy crust [cool] Flour/dredge/flour then the deep fat fryer. 5 minutes cooking time for 4-5 pieces @ 350. (I cut the fillets to smaller "snack" sizes.) They float after 2-3 minutes so I just flip them in the oil a couple times once they float.

[Image: DeepFatFryerStriper01.jpg]

[Image: DeepFatFryerStriper02.jpg]

[Image: DeepFatFryerStriper03.jpg]

I had to toss in some Mozzarella sticks since I had the fryer out anyways [angelic]

[Image: DeepFatFryerStriper04.jpg]

So that was out of the way. Fish dinner for the weekend over with.

Hit the lake Saturday bright and early. Madi had a ton of homework and... likes her sleep so bailed out on me and my 4am alarm so a solo trip. The plan was to go troll some for Stripers waiting for the water to warm up a little then go and see if I could find me a LMB or a SMB plus explore the north end some since I hadn't been up there in ages. The boat hasn't been on the water since 02 January and a couple weeks back I had the 100hr/annual done on it plus a new water impeller installed so needed to be sure all was good after the maintenance.

A big no go on the SMB/LMB. Not a one. I still have no idea'r where they go when the water is cold... 5 winters of trying. I couldn't even find something on my sonar that I would call a LMB/SMB. But some Stripers made it home. Wasn't really planning on bringing any home but what the heck... Something to show for the trip. Caught a few trolling and some more tossing deep divers in coves that one couldn't troll in. Way more than enough for a fresh dinner.

Air temp was in the upper 40s when I got there and I suppose somewhere close to 70 when I departed in the late afternoon. Essentially zero wind all day. I pondered putting on shorts several times but every time I made a move I was glad I hadn't. Sitting still or trolling it was supper nice and "shorts" weather to me but up to speed moving spot to spot I sure was a glad I hadn't changed. Water temp was 52 at sunrise (Echo Ramp) and peaked out around 56 in the later afternoon. Surprising part is that the lake on the south end was 54 on 02 January at sunrise (Boulder ramp). For a holiday the boat traffic was minimal. The camp ground at Echo was just about the fullest I have ever seen before plus there was quite a few small boats out and about. I suppose with the lower lake levels launching small boats in the Stewarts point area is much more feasible these days.

Fishy snack #2 for the weekend came out of that trip and I went for baked Striper for dinner last night. I cooked up a little over half of what I brought home since Madi had already had dinner by the time I got home, cleaned up, etc. I was only able to eat about half of that and was full. Thinking I had some leftovers for the next day Madi showed up... No leftovers. lol She cleaned house of what I didn't eat.

Suppppper good!

[Image: BakedStriper01.jpg]

I did change up the seasoning some from that. I had a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and pink Himalayan salt from something else I cooked sitting in the cabinet so went with that. Plus the butter. Also Parsley verse Basil.

Second time I have cooked Striper this way. IMO not very pretty looking but sooooo good. Light, flakey, etc.

[Image: BakedStriper02.jpg]

What the heck... Good things come in 3s [Wink]

4 fillets remained in the fridge overnight... What to do what to do. Lunch today of course! Decided to go with something new. I heavily coated each fillet with blackening seasoning and kosher sea salt. Tossed them into a pan set to about as hot as it can get for 2 minutes per side. Then set them up for the oven. First lightly spooning melted butter over each piece followed by some lemon juice. 10 minutes at 400.

OMG, ridiculously good. A new way to cook Stripers for me! What I get for watching too many cooking shows on TV. Knowledge!

Not a way to cook Stripers for Madi... 2-3 bites and off to the milk screaming at me. All four fillets for me [angelic]

[Image: BlackenedStriper01.jpg]

[Image: BlackenedStriper02.jpg]

[Image: BlackenedStriper03.jpg]

I think I am good on Striper snacks for this weekend...

Tom
[signature]
Try dill on a piece next time you bake striper.

My baked striper recipe is pretty much the same as yours, except dill instead of basil.
[signature]
Something I have never messed with. Will have to grab some to try one of these days.

Thanks,
Tom
[signature]
Likewise, I'll have to try some basil on my next batch.
[signature]