Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Buying Advice
Hey there, folks. I'm looking into buying my first boat. I'm looking for something used around $1500, or less. I've seen quite a few decent looking fishing boats listed on KSL for around that price. I'd want it to come with a trailer and a motor.

Basically I'm just asking for any help on what kind of things I should be looking for.

Right now, my towing vehicle would be a V6 Isuzu Rodeo with 4WD. So I imagine I'll want something smaller.

I'll just be using it for your regular everyday fishing. Utah Lake, Strawberry and other local waters. I'd like to be able to put a trolling motor and fish finder on it.

Any info, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
I'm assuming at that price point you're looking at an aliminum boat or an older fiberglass boat? I've been looking at aluminum boats on KSL as well but looking for just a bare one since I already have an outboard motor. There's of course the obvious things you need to inspect like the hull for holes/ gashes and leaks. Outboard make sure it starts up, run it in water(you'll be able to do this with a bucket of water or some muffs) Rev it up, put it in all the gear make sure it all works and I would check the compression ratio of all the cylinders. Check the gear oil mail and make sure there's no water in there if there is then there's a leak. Good luck!
[signature]
My advice start with a boat with an.outboard main motor. Easier to work on if needed and way easier to winterize.
[signature]
Boat, motor, and trailer for $1,500? For Utah Lake and the Berry, larger lakes? You'll be lucky if the trailer has tires, the motor runs, and the boat floats and doesn't leak. If you get all those, its a bargain. Seriously. You'll be spending a lot more on it if you only spend $1,500 to start.
[signature]
Yes, a bargain would be just fine with me. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Any reason why a vhull 12-15 foot aluminum boat with a 6-10 hp motor wouldnt work at Berry, utah lake or any other big lakes? I dont see any reason why a boat in that price range wouldn't work there unless of course its 15+ mph winds and white caps.
[signature]
A person's first boat, 12-15 foot, underpowered with a 6-10 hp motor, and the wind goes from glass calm to 15-30 mph in minutes. Several miles across to the ramp. "I can make it" Only a matter of time. Story at 10.

And most decent, reliable 10 hp motors will cost nearly the whole budget. I've been a multiple power boat owner and operator for over 40 years. Just my opinion.
[signature]
Don't fear you can find an acceptable boat for that price, it won't be fancy but be careful and look things over, you may not be able to buy the first one but hang in there. I got a 73 Tri-hull with a Merc 115 ob and it was a little more but it's been a great boat and served me well. Sure you can pay more, but you don't have to. Later J
[signature]
Look for a Lund. They are built tough and are safe even on bigger water. Maybe get the boat, then start hunting for a decent motor. You will need more horsepower at Strawberry. The altitude robs the engine of power up there.

TiteLines
[signature]
Thanks for the motivation. I'm not expecting anything fancy. Like I said, I've seen plenty of acceptable boats listed on ksl for that price. I could spend a little bit more if I see something I really like.

One other question I did have that maybe you or anybody could help with... How does the wiring work from your vehicle to the trailer? I looked by the hitch on my Rodeo, and there is one green wire there. Will I need to take it in somewhere to get special wiring to rig up to a trailer? I imagine not all wiring for all trailers is the same.
[signature]
This is the best thread I've read in a quite some time. Most enjoyable anyway, been a while since I've literally laughed out loud while reading on BFT.

Death trap if you ask me. Be careful. Don't take anybody with you or women or kids.

Yes, you are correct, not all trailer wiring is created equal!!
[signature]
You can certainly buy a decent boat for that much money. Your first boat will likely be a learning lesson on what you will want to get in the future but I'd recommend a 16 to 17 ft open bow with at least a 50 HP motor. If you can find one with a kicker motor or elect trolling motor, more the better. I'd also look for one the has windshields and of course a steering wheel. For that price you should be looking for a late 70's or 80's boat. IMO the motor is the most important thing, do not buy a boat without hearing it run or hopefully take it out on the water. Make sure the weep hole has water coming out of it. Good boats, even older ones sell fast, so you need to check KSL daily, maybe even Craigs list, BFT will occasionally have boats for sale in that price range. I sold my last boat for $1500, it was a 1978 Starcraft with a 75 hp Mercury, with a 4.5 kicker, it had a bow mount elect and a down rigger. So you can find them but it takes some effort on your part. Most older boats will require a little work to set them up like you want but that is good because you will learn what you want and what works best for you. One more thing, if you are willing to go out of the state looking for a boat, try looking in Colorado. My current boat came from Colorado and the prices there can be several thousand cheaper for what that same boat would cost here in Ut.
[signature]
Hey, you gotta start somewhere.
[signature]
Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. I plan on taking my time a bit, and I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm not in a big hurry. I saw one that I really liked for $1500 out in Grantsville a couple weekends ago, but it was gone before I was able to check it out.
[signature]
Yup.. with smaller boats you'll need to be aware of the weather and your surroundings. I see these kayak anglers on YouTube deep sea fishing in I'm sure a lot rougher waters than what our lakes can get to. Also big boats doesn't necessarily mean safer. You still see those boats in the 10 o clock news.
[signature]
There are at least two different standard trailer hook ups for boat trailers that I am familiar with depending on wire numbers and trailer needs like electric brakes and etc. I believe many of the attachments either have the wire colors or functions listed, if you follow the standard, any trailer you hook to that is standard wired will work on your vehicle. I'm sure you can probably google that info. I think there should be a wire kit for your Rodeo available at the parts stores. I used to have a Rodeo and put one on it. If I remember correctly there was easy spots to hook it up to without having to splice into the vehicle wiring. Good luck and like has been implied you do need to try your boats out to know their capabilities and then stay within them. For me if a wild storm comes up, I head for cover or pull out, but I don't want to stay out in those conditions anyway. Anything can be a death trap if you don't use some common sense and avoid hazards where ever possible. Good luck in your efforts. Later J
[signature]
I would look for Jon Boat. They are good for getting up into the shallows in Utah Lake, and in some cases you are able to put-in where others can't. They have minimal parts which makes for easy maintenence and are easily customized to meet your needs. Great for Bowfishing too.

Remember no matter what got buy to be careful out on any water. Pay close attention to the weather especially the wind. When you start to see other boats around your area begin to head in, it's usually a good sign you should too.

Good luck on your purchase and enjoy it.
B- Bust
O-Out
A-Another
T-Thousand
[signature]
I really think you should look for 16' minimum if your fishing places like strawberry....

It's not if you will have trouble, it's when... And when you do, you don't want to be bobbing around in 2/3' whitecaps in a 12' boat that isn't safe to stand up in.
[signature]
An old boat without a motor is just a good thing to throw stuff into to take to the dumps! (I know someone has an exception) Before buying a boat that needs a motor try finding a motor it is a hard thing and they are not cheap. Buying a boat is not an easy thing to do and can wear a guy out. I really miss my old boat it was paid for[Smile]

Good luck
[signature]
My father is about to list his 40HP Bay boat we've been using as a fishing boat on Strawberry and Deer Creek for the last 5 years.

It will be listed in the $1200 range. +200 if you want the bow electric trolling motor. It has a cheap but working fish finder.

The '93 40HP Johnson motor is the best part of the deal. It's been extraordinarily reliable. It has a trolling plate and we troll with it down to 1.2MPH. The boat is an older fiberglass boat 15' with a single axle trailer.

My 170HP 2002 Xterra with 200K miles on it pulled it easily. It's probably 1200 lbs. It's easy to move by hand.

It's a 3-4 person boat. He's selling it because we jointly bought a bigger boat to take more people on our trips.

PM me if you are interested. Here's a bad picture:

[inline "26in Cutt Scofield Oct2013.jpg"]
[signature]