Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Buying Advice
First - here's a You Tube video for trailer wiring your rodeo - it should get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgM_tQrYgQc

I have been around the water my whole life and seen many boats and there pros & cons - Curt is right the motor is the most important piece of the puzzle - it's what will save your bacon. Second (almost tied for first) is your boating skills. Spend much time and get to know your boat "IN THE DRIVEWAY" - how things work! It is really good to know how to use the throttle handle to shift to neutral to Rev your engine for starting is a must.

Good Luck and may the Fish & Wind Gods Smile upon you! [fishon]
[signature]
Watch the yard sale announcements. This is what you are looking for:

"Yard sale Sat. a.m. at (address), Lots of fishing stuff. Divorcing husband because he spends all his time in his damn boat and all his (our) money buying fish poles. Selling everything, best offer."

Be there early with cash in hand. I picked up a Model 12 Winchester shotgun for $50 at a yard sale like this a few years ago.[Wink]

Good luck and hope to see you out after the cats this summer in your new boat.
BLK
[signature]
I started with a Coleman Scanoe and a 4.5 hp Merc OB. LOL almost died on several reservoirs and I was not very far out. No that I am grown up and so much smarter LOL.

I have a 1700 Lund Fisherman and have still got into some scary situations.

With a smaller boat you can launch from the bank closer to any fishing grounds you may want to access and be safer.

I hope you find a good deal and that you pass this passion on to some young people.
[signature]
pm sent
[signature]
[quote Lundman]

Second (almost tied for first) is your boating skills. Spend much time and get to know your boat "IN THE DRIVEWAY" - how things work! It is really good to know how to use the throttle handle to shift to neutral to Rev your engine for starting is a must.

[/quote]

I took the Coast Guard boating course before I ever operated my first boat. I would highly recommend this to any new boat owner. It is offered in the SLC area, not sure about other areas.
[signature]
In response to your question about the trailer lights with a Rodeo you have to get a light kit. They are available online and they are a little module that combines the lights to work with a trailer. Google it.
[signature]
Want a Boat? Build Your Own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuoy1dGOxFI

http://bateau.com/products.php?cat=18#.VsOcY_krK71
[signature]
just sayin,I have a 18.5 ft open bow with 125 merc,a few years ago we were fishing east side of bear lake, could see the wind comming several miles to the north so we headed to the marina across the lake, before we could get much more than half way to the marina the waves were coming over the front, we had to slow to a crawl and were lucky to make it back to the marina. please don,t buy too small of a boat if you ever plan to go to a big lake. A few more payments is better than losing a life.
[signature]
Wow, thanks for all the great information everyone. I've got a lot to check out. I really do appreciate it. This is one of the many reasons I love this site.
[signature]
Don't let these guys get you down it is totally doable but I don't think the right answer has been mentioned yet. You can get boats and trailers for free. When you buy a boat your not buying the boat your buying the motor keep that in mind, especially on a 1500.00 budget. I am on my 8th boat or so and people that have owned enough boats will agree no 1 boat has all the features on it that you want. Experience is also key but it comes with time on the water. Just be most cautious about the motor you literally can find old motorless boats and trailers for free pretty regularly.
[signature]
Gregor welded aluminum 14-15'. Newest 15-20hp you can find. I've taken this boat all over Utah and Mexico. We've caught everything from crappie to striped Marlin. Very stable and handles rough water very well. This is one of my favorite of all my boats. I never have to wash it!
[signature]
Americanforkdude: Where can I get free boats? I'm looking for a 20-foot-ish aluminum that's bare empty. No nothing but the hull and a trailer. Maybe a floor. I'd take two if they were free! PM is fine too.
[signature]
Unfortunately there isn't an open market of free boats and with that the selection is really slim otherwise i would be in a thunderjet instead of what i own now. What good is an old fiberglass boat without a motor? Most people's logic is a new boat with a running motor unless that particular boat has significant meaning to them, then and only then, imo is the only time to pay the same price for a motor as you would a whole new setup at the same price. I am never looking for free boats or rarely in the market for boats but I've came across 6 free boats or so in the last few years. Usually people just wanting their boats hauled away.
[signature]
Oh, ok. I knew it sounded too good to be true. [Wink] I'm looking for just the hull. I would buy my own motor, then have it professionally rigged with new steering, throttle, seating, and electronics, and have my own console and windshield built.

I want another one of these!
[signature]
Did you finally find you're self a decent boat?
[signature]