Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On-line flies
To you guys who by your flies on-line, What sites do you like to use?

thanks,

T.B.
[signature]
I buy my Harrop flies direct from the House of Harrop! They're not cheap, but if I need a Harrop fly, then I really need a Harrop fly.[shocked] And I enjoy supporting the Master Creator and his family.

Otherwise, I'd usually rather see what I'm getting unless its a generic pattern like a parachute adams or something. For those, I nearly always order from Orvis, at a pretty good price, and get free shipping because I have an Orvis CC.

There's a guy on another national forum named "Hairwing" Jerry, and he provides great flies at a very reasonable price, and donates most of his time and money to kids in need. Hard not to support him as well. Google Hairwing Jerry and you'll get links to several forums with Jerry's posts and recommendations. He's easy to contact. Nobody has ever said anything but a kind word about him, and the flies are as good as any.

And don't forget Utah's own Cheech Pierce at Flyfishfood.com. I don't know him, and haven't ordered much, but he's got some unique creations, and they're well-tied from the one's I've seen. Good source of specialized materials too.

I've also ordered from various fly shops I know on-line. Headhunters in Montana. Trouthunter in Last Chance, ID. George Anderson's. Madison River Fishing Company. Snake River Angler in Jackson. Charlie's Fly Box in Colorado. I know I'll get the "right" flies from them because I've been in the shops and bought the flies first-hand. Again, not the cheap way, but if I want cheap, I'll tie them myself![Wink] The only thing holding my line to the fish is the hook with the feathers. I'm not skimping on either. If they don't eat it, I don't catch 'em.

There's a bunch of cheap, on-line sources for flies these days. Best advice is order a few to sample before ordering in bulk if you go that route.
[signature]
Check out Allen Fly Fishing (allenflyfishing.com) they have pretty good prices.
[signature]
The Wasatch Fly Tying Expo is April 1 & 2 at South Towne Expo Center. In the past, Rainey's has been there with $.50 flies -- and if you hang around until the very end, they sometimes drop the price to $.25 a fly.

I tie many of my own but always nice to pick up something new and different and of course those size 22 midges I haven't yet mastered.
[signature]
I've stopped buying flies so I can create my own random flies and for sure created some good one [Wink].
[signature]
This is really great information, thanks for sharing!
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have done a lot of my own tying in the past so It hurts a little to pay someone else and time constraints have made it a little difficult. I do try to support my local fly shop anytime I can but sometimes its nice to click a mouse a few times and have a package of flies waiting at my doorstep. Since im staring at a computer screen 9 hours a day anyways.

T.B
[signature]