Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lew's Tournament Pro HP spinning reel
Does anybody have firsthand experience with this reel? It's up for consideration for a spinning reel upgrade that would be used for trout/bass fishing.
[signature]
For the price, it is a decent reel for bass. It may be just a bit heavy for trout unless you are able to topshot your spool or get an extra spool for the trout fishing.

Most Trout get line shy and prefer smaller line which is less visible. I use one of these reels for bass and for certain types of Catfish.

I love the 10 bearings for smoothness as well as the drag system they use.[cool]
[signature]
Yeah, I bought a Lew's Tournament Pro baitcaster on sale late last Fall and this year will be my first foray into baitcasting. I've heard nothing but great things about Lew's baitcast reels but conversely I've heard pretty mixed reviews on Lew's spinning reels with some saying that as good as their baitcasters are that's how bad their spinning reels are. The other option I was looking at is the Pflueger President Limited Edition, again I'm looking for the best trout/bass combo spinning reel...how do you think the Pflueger and Lew's stack up?
[signature]
I happen to have a Pflueger President outfit. It is perfect for Trout, Bluegill and other panfish. I can work for Bass if you can finesse fish since it is rated for 2 to 4lb. The president limited edition came out with the 10 bearing system and different sizes of the reels.

Unless you are fishing extra large Trout or very small Bass, 2 different reels would be required to pull of that type of fishing. Trout are line shy and won't bite on bigger line since it is visible. Bass need a sturdy line so they don't break off easily.

The Plueger President Limited edition is great if you plan on using braided line too. It comes ready to accomodate the braid without slipping on the spool. You may have trouble with the Lew's with braided line.

I am not doubting your talent or abilities in any way. I have caught oversized fish on undersized tackle so I know it can be done.

Typically a person will normally fish for a species on a specific weight rod and carry a few rods for different species.
[signature]
Yeah, I was thinking the 30 size model would be a perfect size as it holds 6lb mono/flouro or 8lb braid which should be decent for either bass or trout right? I do use Berkley Vanish for trout too which helps. I have just recently gotten back into fishing the past couple of years after taking MANY years off (since my teenage years...lol) so I am definitely not a pro and am learning new tricks and techniques all the time.
[signature]
8 or 10lb braid would be excellent for the Bass. The Vanish line would be good to topshot with on top of the braid in order to change over to a Trout set up.

There are plenty of tips and tricks to learn on these boards. Most of all, we all learn from each other. [cool]
[signature]
I pretty much use Lew's baitcasters and Pflueger spinning reels. I picked up a couple of Supreme XTs last year and they are awesome. Super light and smooth. I've had a few Presidents over the years as well, and they've been good reels. I haven't tried the Lew's spinning reels because of the mixed reviews and my consistent satisfaction with Pflueger reels. On a side note, I picked up a Lew's Team Pro Speed Spool baitcaster on sale in December that I'm excited to use it. It feels so light and smooth.
[signature]