Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chilly Willard 2-24-16
[#0000FF]I'm back in the float tube again. (Apologies to the late great Gene Autry)

Headed for Willard Bay's south marina this morning. Noticed water still coming in from the canal. Also noted the water seems to have come up a few inches since I was there last Friday. There is now water under the front of the docks and the level is up to the edge of the rocks along the dike. Maybe there's hope?

My tricked out tube was the only craft out of the south marina this morning. But the ramp area is wide open and a small boat could launch easily. The edge of the ice is at least 1/4 mile north and south from the entrance...and probably a half mile or more straight out.

Air temp at launch (8 am) was a chilly 25 and the water temp was way up to 38. Warmed to 45 and 39.5 respectively by the time I left about 1 pm. Water was an off color greenish brown...with big chunks of floating bottom junk (carppoop?)

Got launched without slipping on the ramp algae and motored over to the middle of the channel. Rigged a minnow on one rod and had tandem plastics on the other. Looked at my sonar and saw the message (low voltage). About that time it beeped and the screen went blank. What I said is (blank) too. I just topped off that battery last night.

Checked the battery and sonar connections. Good. Turned it back on and it worked...for about 30 seconds. Then beep and blank again. More (blanks). Took the little SLA battery out of the tube pocket and slipped it inside my sweatshirt. Thought maybe warming it up might help. It did...but only for more 30 second displays.

I accepted that I would be fishing blind. Used to do it all the time and still caught fish. But I sure am dependent on underwater eyes these days. Since I know the bottom around the south marina pretty well I decided to just go for it...and check the touchy sonar once in a while just to maintain depths.

They say even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. I guess the same holds true for blind tubers...and fish. Over the course of covering a lot of water...and "enjoying" the nice warm air and water...I managed to find a few silly kitties that wanted to welcome me back to Willard.

I continued to drag minnows and cast worm flavored jigs...from about 6' deep out to over 12 feet deep. The latter area was a long ways straight out from the marina entrance. Most of my bites came from about 9-10 feet of water...when I could check with the recalcitrant sonar.

I did not get any hits fishing at mid depth or in shallower water. No crappies, walleyes or wipers were harmed in the making of this report. All of the fish that bit were caught. A rare day of no missed hits and no lost fish. Count my blessings. I caught a total of 10 catfish. 4 were released...all under about 15 inches. I kept 6 others that were from 17 to 20 inches. Plenty for a couple of kitty fry-ups for TubeBabe and myself.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude. I'm off Friday and might have to wander up and throw some wooly buggers. I'll bet the open water will be busy this weekend.

Larry
[signature]
Great report and pics Pat, sounds like a great outing. Good to see the water level coming up too.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Probably a bit early for feathers. Anytime after about April 1 it can get good for crappies and wipers on white stuff.

But anytime you can go fishing it is always fun...much more than anything you gotta be doing around the house.

I think you are right about it getting busy now. There must have been 10 "Looky-Lous" drive up and try to talk me to death...both before I launched and after I got in. All of them looked like they had a bad case of cabin fever.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Wow that's not bad at all for an early trip. I didn't notice which pole the fish hit on, jigs or minnows. I'd assume minnows, but you know what that does. Anyway it's great to see your reports back on line and even better that you got the fish feeding already. Thanks for the report. J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, it was fun. Wishin' I could have found and chased some other species but the kitties tugged good. They eat good too.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the water had risen since my looksee trip last Friday. I made some mental notes besides taking pictures. So I could easily see the difference.

Keep the snow and runoff acomin'. We need it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]My first kitty smacked an "RC Killer" (red and chartreuse tube jig) and fought hard. I was thinking I had hooked a carp...or a wiper. But nay.

All the other cats slurped chub minnows...some 3" ones and some 4" ones.

The fish I filleted all had full stomachs...with what looked like well-digested shad parts. And the winter killed shad I found near the ramp suggests there might be a lot of food laying around on the bottom for them.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat, that really sounds like fun. Just drove by the north marina and there's a little more open water than yesterday, but nothing like you found at the south marina. Most of it will be in shallow water off the north marina so far, so I guess the south will be the place to start. Wasn't really expecting that good of report so soon, that may screw up my plans to do taxes between ice and soft season. Good problem to have. Thanks for the info. J
[signature]
Great job on getting out Pat, still a little chilly for me though.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Still a little chilly for me too. I'd never make it without my Heat Holder socks.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like a great time for this early. I admire your tenacity and as always, your skill.

Did you ever get in that ID perch trip you were hoping for?

Keep up the great work!

Pisco
[signature]
Wow you are courage's, and a great example of a "die hard, crazy fisherman " love it. I really was very interested in your picture of the water level. I noticed how you hooked two jigs together when the pole was not in use, simple but great, I'll be using that for sure.
Never miss a chance to learn from the master. See you on the water.
[signature]
Nice work, TD. I'm hoping to get into the kittens soon. Debating on heading back down to UL Sunday for another round. Hopefully with better luck.
[signature]
Nice work TD... surprised the water temps jumped that high, good sign!

I need to get down there fried catfish is sounding really good after seeing your pics.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks.

Nope. Missed out on Cascade. I had some back and knee issues for the first one. And I was in Arizona on family matters for the second one. Hoping for next year. Aren't we all?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#FF0000]"I noticed how you hooked two jigs together when the pole was not in use, simple but great, I'll be using that for sure."

[#0000FF]Oops. Didn't mean to post one of my trade secrets. Oh well, now it's public domain.

I fish tandem jig rigs a lot. And I have tried a lot of ways to keep the jigs secure while not in use. Tough to get the leader lengths just right to be able to hook both jigs to hook keepers and/or rod guides. A couple of years ago I came up with running one down around the reel handle and then back up to hook on the other one. Simple to tighten the line to keep them out of the way.

Two suggestions. First is to make sure your drag is tight enough to hold them without loosening. Then readjust it when you start fishing them again. Second is to take care with the exposed hooks. Watch where you grab the rod to avoid "hook in flesh" syndrome. Similarly, load and unload rods carefully inside your vehicle. And if others will be riding inside with the rods it is a good idea not to transport them rigged up like that. I usually go by myself or with TubeBabe (well trained) so we usually don't have problems.
[/#0000FF]
[/#FF0000]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I had codgertated about trying around Lindon too. But I think with the low water the depth is probably too shallow for most cats right now. Possible some will come in shallow later in the day for some sun warmed conditions. But I think I will wait until Lincoln Beach opens up so I can fish deeper water, and have a shot at some walleyes too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice glad you got out in the tube and found some kitties...we are planning our attack on Willard chasing the Uncles and Aunts of the other finned critter we enjoying fishing for on the hard deck.

Thanks for the update on Willard I'm sure it won't be long as time marches on and seems to go quickly when you have the fishing OCD like us...LOL
[signature]
[#0000FF]See. I knew I shoulda posted this on the other board, so you lurkeresses wouldn't read it.

Hope your new boating upgrades go well and that you are back to hunting the toothy denizens of Willard and Pineview soon...and successfully.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
OK ...... I'll bite. What are the heat holder socks?[bobdumb]
[signature]