Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stock more Brown Trout !
why do we need Browns in Flaming Gorge, Strawberry, and Fishlake? What is wrong with the browns we have in the other waters. I would think that it would be extremely expensive for the DWR to manage every lake for every anglers desires. I think they do a exceptional job giving that they are shackled in so many ways by all the special interest groups that want a piece of the pie.

The decisions they make are based on lots of biological data as well as case studies in other areas. Then they have to get permission from every Tom, Dick, and Harry to move forward. I would bet that if they could put your browns in those lakes and in 5 years we were all catching trophies they would. IF there were no negative impacts (and negative is a matter of perspective depending on which interest group) on the other species including the native non-games species.

Once The fish are in those waters its to late to change your mind. They reproduce well in this environment. There diet alone has the potential to feast on a huge percentage other fish stocked. And if everybody is regularly catching browns the size and quantity you are talking about, the "10 - 12 inch stockers" are going to become dinner as well.

My preference would be that you go after them in the waters they are already in. Those that want to catch lake trout go to those waters. Those that want bass....

Sometimes we forget that that it's not about me or you or Johny it is about us. And we often do not realize how many "us" there are and each one them may or may not have an opinion and many of those have a very strong opinion.

I respect your opinion FlashyFish as I am sure you respect mine. Thank you for posting because it made for some good discussion.
[signature]
[#FF0000][#000000]So you think that if the DWR stocked some 10" browns, that means all of suddenly you're going to catch great lakes sized fish? I think you need to get a grip on reality. Those 10" browns would literally just disappear along with the rest of the browns that already existed in starvation. They would act no different, nor be any easier to catch than the wild ones.

[/#000000][/#FF0000]
[signature]
[quote Stickleback]why do we need Browns in Flaming Gorge, Strawberry, and Fishlake? What is wrong with the browns we have in the other waters. I would think that it would be extremely expensive for the DWR to manage every lake for every anglers desires. I think they do a exceptional job giving that they are shackled in so many ways by all the special interest groups that want a piece of the pie.

The decisions they make are based on lots of biological data as well as case studies in other areas. Then they have to get permission from every Tom, Dick, and Harry to move forward. I would bet that if they could put your browns in those lakes and in 5 years we were all catching trophies they would. IF there were no negative impacts (and negative is a matter of perspective depending on which interest group) on the other species including the native non-games species.

Once The fish are in those waters its to late to change your mind. They reproduce well in this environment. There diet alone has the potential to feast on a huge percentage other fish stocked. And if everybody is regularly catching browns the size and quantity you are talking about, the "10 - 12 inch stockers" are going to become dinner as well.

My preference would be that you go after them in the waters they are already in. Those that want to catch lake trout go to those waters. Those that want bass....

Sometimes we forget that that it's not about me or you or Johny it is about us. And we often do not realize how many "us" there are and each one them may or may not have an opinion and many of those have a very strong opinion.

I respect your opinion FlashyFish as I am sure you respect mine. Thank you for posting because it made for some good discussion.[/quote]

The funny thing is, most of the lakes he listed already have browns in them. Flaming Gorge has browns...Starvation and Fish Lake have browns and have for years..It's not really an issue of introducing a new species. Browns are already spread out statewide in pretty much every drainage.

The issue is like PBH said, there will not be any noticeable different in return to creel rate if the DWR simply added a handful of 10" to add to already existant populations of browns..If they were introducing them to a new lake, then that might make sense.
[signature]
[quote FlashyFish]

And I am not talking about putting Browns in places like the Weber or Provo where there is ton of Browns. But there are many reservoirs that could use a shot of nice sized (10" to 12 " ) Browns, like Flaming Gorge, Fish Lake, & Strawberry.[/quote]'

See, right there is the problem with your thinking.

Flaming Gorge already has brown trout. The Green River supplies plenty of browns for that lake. Why don't you see more people catching them already? Because they are hard to catch from the reservoir.

Fish Lake has a population of brown's as well. Again, they are difficult for most anglers to catch. Most are caught by pure luck.

As others said, people DO catch them from Deer Creek and Jordanelle -- but why not in higher numbers? The fish are there. But they are difficult for most anglers to target in the reservoirs.

Baker Reservoir in Washington County get's occasional stockings of brown trout. It has always been known to provide some good brown trout fishing. But, just like many other places, they are not easy to catch. Also, just like many other places, Baker has a river feeding the reservoir that contains wild brown trout. So the need to stock annually is not necessary.

Past historical records prove that brown trout are not a good return to creel. We have these numbers. These are not an assumed theory -- the numbers are there for managers to see and use.

Flyfisher -- we don't need more stocking of them in the reservoirs. You just need to go fish for them. They are already there waiting for you!
[signature]
Don't forget that Tiger Trout get half of their genetic material from Browns. And Scofield gets tons on Tigers. And they grew huge when there were just a few thousand of them. Then when the DWR planted them by the 100s of thousands the size went down. It ain't easy to balance the number of predators with the available prey. But it's even harder when the predators reproduce well and flourish.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
[quote FlashyFish]
And I am not talking about putting Browns in places like the Weber or Provo where there is ton of Browns. But there are many reservoirs that could use a shot of nice sized (10" to 12 " ) Browns, like Flaming Gorge, Fish Lake, & Strawberry.[/quote]

You have to look at the economics involved...in order to stock 10 to 12" browns, the DWR would have to raise those fish for a season (typically, these fish are called holdovers or catchables). The cost of raising fish and holding them over for a season is certainly greater than raising them to 2-3 inches and then stocking them. The question is whether the cost of raising a bunch of 10-12 inchers would actually be cost effective. The other side of the problem is that by holding fish over in the hatchery for extended periods of time the fish begin to lose their appearance and fins get rubbed off; they get ugly!

Certainly, if the DWR would start stocking browns in Strawberry or Fish Lake or Flaming Gorge at the same rate that rainbows are stocked, catch rates for browns would go up, BUT overall catch rates would decline from what they are now. And, I am certain that the majority of anglers would NOT be happy.
[signature]
Which reservoirs in Utah produce the largest browns? Jordanelle? Where else?
[signature]
I've caught some really nice sized browns out of Porcupine at ice off. Has the be the best place that I've been to in Utah for big browns.
[signature]
I'm with you on the brown trout. I love catching them. I fish for them every year on a quest for a giant. They are out there and there is a group of anglers after them. They are all just very tight lipped.[fishon]
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]Which reservoirs in Utah produce the largest browns? Jordanelle? Where else?[/quote]

That question right there is what has kept anglers fishing for a long, long time! Fishing is somewhat different than big game hunting. With the hunters of today, most know what animals are in the area long before the hunt ever starts. In fact, most have been named -- silly stuff like "kick stand", "BullWinkle", or "Handlebars".

With fish, we usually have no idea what lurks in those murky depths. And that's good. Just like that 1 good golf shot, that's what keeps us coming back for more!

Historically, we've seen big brown trout (7 - 12lbs) come from: Baker Res, Otter Creek, Piute, Fish Lake, Tropic Res. Those are just some in the southern region. I'm sure there are some in Flaming Gorge, Jordanelle, Deer Creek...
No reason not to assume that any reservoir downstream from a river system with brown trout wouldn't have a bruiser lurking in those depths too!
[signature]
They grow plenty big in many reservoirs. This 10+ lb brown was caught last December on the fly, from shore, in Fish Lake. I was surprised as all get out when my dad who doesn't fish often hooked up with it.
[signature]