Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho falls bound
Hey everybody! Im from Sacramento, CA but planning on moving to idaho falls very soon. I have family there and a really great job opportunity and cant wait to get out of california! (Too expensive, too many people, not enough fish). Anyways I will be heading out there this wed-sat to look at a couple places to rent and interview for a job and am planning on getting some fishing in while im there.

Im mostly a trout fisherman, but have dabbled in everything from salmon/steelhead to striper and sturgeon. Ive been fishing over 25 years (adamantly) and would consider myself a northern California fishing veteran. Although ive heard how great idaho trout fishing is, ive never done it myself. Well technically I have but I fished a stocked pond called ryder park the one time I visited idaho. With that bieng said I hope to have some reports to add soon, and if anybodys going to northern cali feel free to ask me any questions...... btw Im not a fly fisherman but planning on learning from what ive read online.

Any suggestions in the idaho falls area right now? Is everything frozen right now? Any help is greatly appreciated
[signature]
Welcome to the site and thank you for taking the time to register.

I spent a number of years in West Sacramento as well as Idaho Fall/Rigby area. Some of the good fishing places in that area are Henry's Lake, CJ Strike, Ririe Pond and a few areas along the Snake River in and out of Town. Just beware of the currents and undertow of the Snake River.

I fished many of the irrigation canals too. They are loaded with Trout and Whitefish. You can spin fish them or fly fish once you get geared up and trained.

Be sure to drop on by the Idaho board too. There are several active members in that area that can steer you in the right direction for the current conditions. [cool]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Wisherman916, I'm going to move your post to our Idaho board, so some of the local members can greet you and maybe answer your questions.
WH2
[signature]
Hi and Welcome to BFT!

Good Luck to you! That sounds so exciting! Looking forward to reading your reports on fishing in Idaho!
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! You'll love it up there.
[signature]
Welcome to the forum . The South Fork of the Snake river will probably be your best bet this time of year .
[signature]
Thanks everybody! Looking forward to some big idaho trout!
[signature]
[quote Wisherman916]Thanks everybody! Looking forward to some big idaho trout![/quote]

If you do end up in Idaho Falls, pretty much drive in any direction except west and any water you hit.....it's got fish, just some places better than others.

Ill 2nd the comment on beware of the under tows on the snake/south fork. If it is over 3000 FPS do not wade it.
[signature]
Well, I fished the snake river for a couple hours yesterday just above the falls for nada. Tried kastmasters and powereggs, mainly just a scouting trip. The few people I talked to had zero as well. I decided to stop by the ryder park pond before I left and caught & released 6 small rainbows on powereggs on a barbless hook. Mustve missed 9-10 as well... every cast I had a bite within 5 min. Action was good fish were tiny (10-12in) still fun...headed out now to scout some more spots before I leave back to california tomorrow.

Btw, I got the job. Just gotta find a house now and I will be able to buy a resident license Smile
[signature]
Welcome... both to the forum and to IF! Great area to be able to call home. I have been here since 2007 and have greatly enjoyed it. Wonderful opportunities for trouts, kokes and spiny rays in fairly close proximity. Plenty of friendly people willing to share info as well! [Wink]

Looking forward to reading your posts once you get relocated...
[signature]
A good place that's isn't to technical and always is good for lots of fish is birch creek. As soon at the spring run off is out a lot of fishing will open up. The main snake through IF holds some huge fish but most of the people that do well through town fish at night.
[signature]