Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass fishing and "Gettin' Schooled"
I've been fishing Mead since 1987. Lots of areas I know pretty well. But last 2 years I didn't go out that much. More rock climbing and less fishing.

Couple days ago and last week I was revisiting areas I knew well before the water dropped.about 15 ft. I'm not referring to those waypoints which are now on dry land either.

And what was the epiphany for me was realizing I can't fish these same spots the way I used to.

Current changed, the "holdpoints" have changed. Many of the spots are still good but need to be fished with a different approach and given new rating of potentiality.

Conditions were optimal on Thursday. 60 at morning launch. Light wind.

Thursday I was trying a "pre spawn milk run" I've done many times in the past. Hit it...but now just pull out a little deeper...right? nothing..
Move. Next spot ...hit it...nothing. Dropshot, jigs, swimbait, crankbait, rip bait, surface lure...All standard prespawn bass gear.

After a 8 spots tried, I got a break. A tiny smallie showed himself trying to eat my weightless plastic in 15 ft over 25 ft. The bait was about 1/3rd his size. Just think if those smallies ate at In and Out?

I put down all but one rod and bait and started running the bank and the walls from 45' to the shoreline...covering water and trying to put together a pattern.. And what I found was the prespawn fish were there but not holding in places I expected them to be. As soon as I changed my perspective I saw how the lowered water had changed not only the structure but the cover.
For me....Throw out he fishing columns advice and the "rule-book" for now.
[signature]
No doubt Lake Mead is one complicated lake to fish. The huge water level shifts certainly contribute to that big time.

Tom
[signature]