Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Pike on tipups
https://youtu.be/LQbQ6iX8gvw
Fishing in Alberta for Northern Pike with Windlass Tip-Up. At first I tried a standard hot spot on a shallow flat about 5 to 8 feet of water near a large reed bed. The area was littered with small pike in the 2-5 pound range pulling on my baits every few minutes so I got out of that area. Moved to another area off a rocky point with a sharp break in about 10 feet of water and had a couple nice pike come through.
[signature]
Nice color on those pike. How was the ice, is the season winding down there or is the ice still good for a while longer? What kind of Tip-ups were those that you were using, are they a new design?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Nice color on those pike. How was the ice, is the season winding down there or is the ice still good for a while longer? What kind of Tip-ups were those that you were using, are they a new design?[/quote]

Oh this is still video from my trip in January. I fished two weeks straight so I've just been releasing stuff as I edit the video. There is still ice though and I am headed back for a week of ice fishing at the end of March. So should be good. It has been warm and some of the southern lakes of canada are already open water, but up north where I will be most guys are reporting 20-36 inches of ice and still driving trucks on no problem.

This is a HT Windlass tipup we have been using them for years. Nothing new, been on the market since I was a kid.

They work really well with dead bait on windy days. Some of our biggest pike are caught on them.
[signature]