Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Snagging
Me to, I signed a petition back in the late 70's to close it originally, I was at the RAC meeting a couple years ago at Brigham City where we had to wait until after midnight to be heard, when we were what was said to the F&G fell on deaf ears.
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]Me to, I signed a petition back in the late 70's to close it originally, I was at the RAC meeting a couple years ago at Brigham City where we had to wait until after midnight to be heard, when we were what was said to the F&G fell on deaf ears.[/quote]

I hate to tell you guys, but just because you spoke your mind, neither the RAC nor the WB should automatically do what you say. Remember, the process is designed for the RACs and the WB to receive inputs from a number of different and often competing interests (including what fishermen want and what the DWR recommends). Their job is to make a decision based on all the input...not just part of it. So, despite giving your input and speaking your mind, that does NOT mean the WB and RACs should have closed the inlet.

Also, FWIW, the DWR aren't the final decision makers in the rule-making process. The WB is. These people are NOT employees of the DWR but are appointed by the Governor. IF you don't like how the WB votes and the decisions they make, you should probably take that up with them personally, with the Governor who elected them, or work diligently at getting people who do agree with you elected when positions open up (these openings are advertised by the DWR).

Personally, I don't care whether the inlet is open or not...it has been years since I have fished Willard and walleye will never be a fish I specifically target (I think they fight like a wet sock). So, go back and debate whether the inlet should be open or not...
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
I am not from Utah; I grew up in Michigan where we also close the walleye season completely during the spawn. However, after fishing Willard for a few years I find it hard to believe opening the inlet for fishing has any detrimental effects on the walleye population whatsoever. On any given year you can circle Willard during the spawn and witness walleye practically throwing themselves at the rocks all around the reservoir and yes plenty of folks fish them each year during the spawn even without the inlet access.

Snagging is something that folks will do regardless if whether the inlet is open or not, it’s a matter of location and opportunity. I honestly believe we will see better walleye fishing in Willard due to the fact water levels are expected to go up and remain higher, this will allow for more shad cover and spawning hideouts...ultimately this should disperse more shad allowing the bounty to last longer which could create more hungry fish....in any case the real danger to walleye or any fish in Utah for that matter really isn't the amount of anglers or snagging, it’s the ups/downs of the water levels resulting in a fluctuation of food sources.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[signature]
I know it is off topic but I have to respond anyways... I don't know where walleye get the reputation for fighting poorly. Maybe if you catch them trolling they do not fight as well... but I've caught bigger walleye (5-8lb fish) that fought just as well as any trout, bass, what have you!
[signature]
While we could have called and complained, it would be our word against this guys word. No good way to prove anything.

The real issue here is not whether snagging of fish is depleting fish, However, it is happening during a time when fish, prized as a trophy by many, is trying to reproduce.

Out of the all the guys there, was no asians, appeared to all be good ol boys.

If it is open, I say go for it, but fish it ethically.

FWIW
[signature]
So you're operating under some fallacies when it comes to reporting infractions, maybe you already know about this stuff and discount it.

First thing about reporting someone who you have witnessed doing something illegal is that the first time you report them the officer that shows up may not be able to do anything about it but chances are they'll record the interaction and the individual's name. The second time the next officer might see that interaction and look further. After a pattern develops they'll eventually be able to nail the guy.

The next thing is, the DWR has methods and technology that most of us don't hear about. For example, if they suspect you poached an animal they will recover DNA from your gear or vehicle and run it against a database of species and if it turns up you have fresh DNA from an animal that you didn't have the legal right to harvest you're going to have a bad time.

Ultimately, the guy you see doing that crap may already be under scrutiny or might just plain be fishing illegally without a license because he got it taken away already.

I've seen way more of us round-eyes fishing illegally, and even recommending that I fish illegally too, than I ever have with the Asian guys.
[signature]
Never said I fish walleye for the fight, I like eating them.[cool]
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]Never said I fish walleye for the fight, I like eating them.[cool][/quote]

Never said you did....
[signature]
I think a lot of us are looking at Utah fisheries in the wrong way. Our waters are managed today with much better technology and knowledge than they were in the past. A very minute amount of our waters rely on natural spawning to repopulate. The same argument comes up during the Kokanee spawn every fall at Strawberry. Season dates and areas open to fishing are calculated into the equation when managing the particular species and body of water. If someone is doing something illegal, report them! But while some may think it's an unfair advantage to fish certain areas at certain times...if it's legal, it's meant to be.
Bottom line, Sportsman's activities is a huge industry in our state. That's good for all of us! Creates a lot of jobs and improves our overall economy while improving our fisheries! DWR wants people to have a good experience and to catch/eat fish, the better the fishing, the more licenses they sell and the more fish they stock. Trust me, we have a great Department of Fish and Wildlife that knows what they are doing. Go to California where their Fish and Game director is a tree hugger who caters more to the sight seers than the sportsmen!
Bottom line, report law breakers! But at the same time, if you are having a bad day on the water, don't point your finger at the DWR or people legally catching and keeping their limit!
[signature]
Lots of conversation but truth is if those were trout staggers all of them would be in jail no question .... Of course we also know that in the name of conservation the spawn would be closed to fishing ... Of course we all know that our state is very portective of our natural resources especially our public property and our wildlife because it does not belong to you and I ... It belongs to the state of Utah .....
[signature]
[quote MikeHall]Lots of conversation but truth is if those were trout staggers all of them would be in jail no question .... Of course we also know that in the name of conservation the spawn would be closed to fishing ... .[/quote]

[#0000FF]WHAT???? Are you implying what I think you are implying? You actually think Utah is trout-oriented to the exclusion of other species? Shame on ya.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote MikeHall]Lots of conversation but truth is if those were trout staggers all of them would be in jail no question .... Of course we also know that in the name of conservation the spawn would be closed to fishing ... Of course we all know that our state is very portective of our natural resources especially our public property and our wildlife because it does not belong to you and I ... It belongs to the state of Utah .....[/quote]

yeah, because we all know that the trout spawning and fish snaggers never take trout--like lake trout at the Gorge or at Fish Lake--right? Or, what about the ice off fishing at places like Otter Creek and Minersville that are so popular? I suppose NOBODY goes to those places and fishes specifically for the rainbow trout that stack up along the rocky shorelines and begin their spawning process, right? Or, what about the fishermen that flock to the Boulder mountain each fall to catch spawning brook trout that stack up on the springs by the thousands, right? I am sure none of those fish are snagged and kept, right?

The truth is that there are numerous other fisheries across the state where fishermen love to fish for spawning trout and where snagging frequently occurs. These waters receive no more or no less protection than the inlet some of you are so worried about...
[signature]
And I've never pulled in a wet sock so I wouldn't know what that feels like[:p]
[signature]
Wet sock never felt that either but this catch and the obvious initial thought head shakes had us pumped...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2BREKhNxJ9I
[signature]
Not discounting what you're stating referencing the game wardens. But if you saw it, the game warden shows up, you should be able to have them write the ticket and you sign it. It's a citizens arrest of sorts. If you witness a criminal act and want to push it, it can be done. I had a little punk in my neighborhood very recklessly driving that I did just this to. Pushed it to the point where he was pissing down both legs and I had the cop let him go with the promise he will never drive like that again.
[signature]
"What we have here is a failure to communicate "
Paul Newman " Cool Hand Luke "

Ask DWR & the state of Utah to publish Methyl Mercury tests on vertebrate aquatics at Willard Bay .. Bet you won't eat anything out of there ever again ..
Problem solved 😎
[signature]
[quote MikeHall]"What we have here is a failure to communicate "
Paul Newman " Cool Hand Luke " [/quote]

[#0000FF]A favorite line from a favorite actor. Applies to a lot of Utah fishing.

Makes purty good spaghetti sauce too. Haven't tried his "Fig Newmans".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I find it ironic that when someone presents information that contradicts what many of you complain about, the rebuttals are nothing more than jokes.

As bobber boy said, there are numerous cases of anglers specifically targeting spawning fish (trout!) all over Utah. The case at Willard is no more or no less different than any other fisheries in Utah. It's just not that big of a deal.

With that being said -- if you see a criminal activity it is your duty as a citizen to report it to the authorities. If you do nothing, then why come on here and complain about it? Shouldn't you have done something? Complaining rarely solves anything.
[signature]
Fishing during the spawn will not allow for a healthy resource and in no way promotes conservation or healthy fish populations.. Most Certainly it is unsportsman like and is as unfair a method as snagging or looking the other way as a participant or enforcement officer when our conservation laws are broken .. Of course you can look the other way, complain about poor quality and most certainly justify you opinion at the expense of our public resource ...
[signature]
For someone who personally doesn’t care if the Willard inlet is open or not, and for someone who doesn’t specifically target Walleye you seem to imply that people who did care and actively participated in the RACK process should have simply known better.
[signature]