Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gamefisher 5.0 - Changing Lower Gear Oil
Hey guys,

I wanted to change the lower unit gear oil in my Sears Gamefisher 5hp motor. I've read a couple of guides and they all state that this should be done in the up right position. If I leave my motor in the upright position then the "vent" hole is lower than the "fill" hole. Now when the motor is laid horizonal on the garage floor everything lines up. The vent hole is higher than the fill hole and it looks like this is the way to do it. Also, if I was to ignore the hole lables and fill the lower unit in the upright position then it looks as if VERY LITTLE oil will go in, whereas if I change it while it's laid on the garage floor, a much greater amount will fit. Any help would be appreciated. I know the motor is made by mercury. Here's the numbers from the engine in case that will help.

Model: 217 586614
Serial: 78004766

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
[signature]
hi mark,

the directions given you are correct.

there are several reasons for following the directions. [ol] [li]filling from the bottom hole will prevent air pockets in the lower unit when filling. this is important you will understand in a minute.[/li] [li]getting more lube in the unit is not the issue here, to much is as bad as not enough[/li] [li]filling form the bottom with both the upper and lower screws removed is the right way to do it. you will fill by squeezing the bottle with the pionted nipple held in place of the hole firmily. you will continue to squeeze the lube in the bottom untill it comes out of the top hole. at this point you have the correct amount of lube in your lower unit.[/li][/ol]

dont do it laying down, you will be sending lube oil in places where it wasnt intended to go. this will wash down contaminants in to your grars that will eat away at the gears and seals. over filling will cause the same problems, this is why you have to fill from the bottom untill it comes out the top hole. then place the bottom screw plug in, then the top plug screw.

be sure to drain it in the fall, if water gets in to the lower unit and you are in an area where it freezes, it will bust the housing. always put new lube in come spring.
[signature]