Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorguide xi5
Just bought a motorguide xi5 anyone else have them? It does have the pinpoint gps so excited to try it.
[signature]
I've had a MotorGuide X5 with pinpoint, a Minn kota Terrova with spot-lock, and I now have a Minn Kota Ulterra self deploy and stow.

The MotorGuide was definitely more stout and rugged than the Minn Kota's. With the Minn Kota you had to secure the locking knob very, very precisely or the shaft seal would be compromised during the trip to the lake with all the bouncing. I also added a RAM mount 2/3 up the shaft which might work well to protect your Motor Guide.

I would have got a MotorGuide if they had a deploy and stow feature that kept me on the driver side of the windshield for deploy and stow. I have the 36 volt, 112 lbs. of thrust model. It is really nice, but MotorGuide should have one soon.

Bob
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I called Motor Guide a few days ago to talk about the Xi5. The remote deploy and retrieve is at least 4 years out. They know how to do it and have the technology to do it, but the Minn Kota patent prevents them from doing it until the patent restrictions run out in 4 years. So if your determined to have that feature, then your only choice is the Minn Kota.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Another consideration is the brand of sonar you are running if you must have a linked system. The Minn Kota only works with Humminbird sonars and the Motor Guide only works with Gen 2 or Gen 3 Lowrance sonars. Don't have a clue as to WHY its that way. I have very strong opinions that the linking should be compatible with every sonar brand out there - but that's just me.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
That is exactly what is holding me back. Putting it in and out is a little dangerous when you have the grace of a 3 year old. Gravity has never been a friend of mine lol. I'm a Lowrance guy and already have the NMEA backbone so when they come out with the auto deploy/store feature that anchor, move 5 feet, return to spot, etc is going to be awesome
[signature]
I had a Minnkota I-Pilot for a couple of years. I sold it when the Xi5 came out. The I-Pilot was good, but I love the Xi5. I have been using an Xi5 connected to my Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 for over a year.

Pros:
Quieter running.

Better tracking.

The spot lock has much less wander.

Spot lock jog. This one feature makes the Xi5 worth it. While spot locked you can jog 5' in any direction by pressing one of the arrow keys on the remote control. Want to move 20' to the Left? Press the left arrow key 4 times. Once you use this feature you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Track navigation. I can create a track out of a series of points defined on the touch screen of the Lowrance and then the Xi5 will follow the track. Or I can let the Lowrance create predefined curves. For example I can tell it to do "S" curves or zigzags for the the next mile.

Rock solid GPS. The Xi5 has 2 GPS receivers, one in the head and one in the base. The result is much better location data. My I-Pilot would loose its mind a couple of times during the day and try to throw me overboard. The Xi5 is rock solid all day.

Cons:
The remote control pendant does not have a display like the I-Pilot. If you connect the Xi5 to a Lowrance Gen2 or Gen3, the Xi5 info is displayed on the screen.

No remote control stow and deploy. I would love to have this feature, but it is not a deal breaker for me.

Conclusion:
It lets me control my boat in ways I have never been able to before. And with better boat control I catch more fish.

Hopefully this doesn't start a Minnkota vs Motorguide holy war. When Minnkota's patents expire in a few years, and visa versa, I will be the first in line to buy the hybrid trolling motor that combines the best of both. For the time being I am having a lot of fun with my Xi5.
[signature]
Great, you just eased my mind. Thanks for the info. Do you have a quick release set-up? I need the base.
[signature]
I went with[url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/MOTORGUIDE-QUICK-RELEASE-BRACKET-ALUM-BLACK/1750771.uts?productVariantId=3703180&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=45-151949222-2&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03788605&rid=20"] this.[/url]
[signature]
I have started looking into upgrading the xi5 80 from the Minn Kota I am currently using.
[signature]