Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Springs/Sunnyside
Went up Thursday, hit Cold Springs reservoir. Almost no wind, boat launch was in good shape. I have never fished Cold Springs only Hay meadow. We tried to catch some bass but it was probably too early or too cold. The trout were biting power bait. Average normal size for the area the biggest being about a pound. We caught about a dozen for the hour and half we were on the lake. They all were fat. Trip was cut short, I was helping my wife remove the fat trout she caught and the line snapped out of his mouth and the size 18 treble hook embedded in my right thumb. I didn't think much of it at first until It wasn't coming out with pliers. I never knew how important your thumb can be till you can't use it. My wife and daughter were able to get the boat off the lake and on the trailer. Trip to Ely emergency room( we actually were headed to Ely for a short getaway) Got a shot to numb my thumb and the doctor used his pliers and yanked it out. I will be paying more attention in the future. They also dumped 7,000 rainbow trout 6 to 8 inches it was like a little boil at the dock.
[signature]
I feel you on the thumb. I put a treble in each hand so far to date on Mead. One time a Striper was hanging off the other treble of the crank and I was alone... Too much fun there.

Otherwise sounds like a good trip.

Tom
[signature]
Could be worse... My dad once got a 10/0 trailer hook stuck right through the meaty web between his thumb and index finger with the other hook still attached to a big mahimahi. He had a half inch hole through his hand by the time we killed it and the hook just fell out. Got to the ER 5+ hours later. Surprisingly, they said it was too old to stitch together or something, so they just washed it out, gave him a shot and some antibiotics. Miraculously healed with barely a scar.
[signature]
nothing is worse than having to cut the barb off first before pulling the hook out. I have had to do that before.

Also had a place I got a hook stuck in my thumb get infected a couple days later because i didn't clean it correctly after we pulled the hook out. i always keep purrell and rubbing alcohol in my boat just in case after i almost lost my thumb.
[signature]