Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oahu Next Week
Alright, only a week away. I have crazy Charlie's, or charlie derivatives, in sizes #4 and #6 in colors...orange, tan, olive, brown, and crystal. Some have legs, some don't. Others have flash, some don't. And a a dozen that resemble mantis shrimp. The only flies I need are a few more minnow patterns...bunny strip type things and clouser bugs. Even if off I catch nothing, wow, what an experience.

It would be fun to catch at least one.

Any last minute tips are welcome. Can't wait!

HM
[signature]
I was able to hook up a few times in Oahu at Waikiki Beach. Caught bonefish and needle fish. Hooked up a couple of mystery fish, never saw them and did not fight like a bone or needle so who knows. Best guess, trigger fish.

Not the easiest fishing. Had to blind cast the entire time. I was never in the right area to see tailing bones but was very fortunate to catch three in the same day with the largest going 5lbs (small for Hawaii standards).

Flies Used:
- Tan/brown crazy charlie variant (my own twist)
- Spam-n-Eggs
- Chart/Wht Clouser
- Orange crazy charlie (traditional)

Off to Cancun in 10 days and this time work is paying for the trip.

HM
[signature]
Dude, that is so effing cool that you actually caught Hawaiian bones, and blind casting at that! With all those people around, too! Way to go!
I am going to Kauai in July, and am hoping for a chance at a bone. I have been reading a lot and checking google earth for flatish places.
I'm going to be happy if I hook into anything at all.
Thanks for the report, and congrats!!!!
[signature]
Keep the flies simple. I was advised to stick to tan, olive , and brown colors. Bring a few white/chart closers and other minnow patterns for the blue fin travale. I'm by no means an instantaneous expert, far from it, but watched a YouTube video where a guy caught BF trevale on one of the beaches we spent some time. If you have the time then just get out there and have no expectations. I was hoping for one bonefish and a couple of something else and got lucky.

Size #4 and #6 is what I used.
[signature]
Josh
Here are some of the flies I used. All tied by me.
[signature]
That is so cool! I've never experienced anything else like a bonefish on a fly. They fight like no other. The fact that you did it unguided is awesome, great job!
[signature]