Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sit-on-top vs sit-in kayaks
I plan on buying a kayak for fishing and have only looked at sit-in kayaks to purchase. I figure I can put more gear in a sit-in kayak and it can be better protected from water. Recently I spoke with a friend who recommended a sit-on-top kayak and he explained if you flip over it is easier to get back on your kayak and keep kayaking. He said in a sit-in kayak if you flip you have to swim your kayak back to shore because it is hard to get the water out. I just wanted to see what people on here liked best for fishing and why? Sit-on-top or sit-in kayaks? Thanks!
[signature]
I use a sit on top and it seems just great. Something about sit in kayaks just doesn't appeal to me so I prefer sit on top. It really just depends on your personal preference.
[signature]
I've never fished out of a sit in kayak, but can vouch for the sit on top. Mine has plenty of storage for my needs, and I like to be able to sit sideways and hang my legs in the water on hot days. I suspect the sit in models would be far better in colder weather.
[signature]
Sit-ins are better for moving water fun. Sit-ons are better for angling. Most designed-for-fishing kayaks are sit-ons.

Getting on and off is MUCH simpler with a sit-on, both intentionally or otherwise. With most sit-ons you can stand to cast, or dangle your legs over the side. Access to your gear is easier. You sit higher to allow better sight down into the water.
[signature]
I have one of each, have not used the sit-in-side since the sit on top purchase. the sit on tops tend to be heavier but usually are more stable. They both have their benefits, so evaluate the fishing you will be doing IE... lake, river, amount of gear, and transportability. Then I recommend you go to a store like Lifetime or Scheels and act as if you are getting tackle or reaching for poles and see what is more comfortable.
[signature]
I would imagine a sit on would fish a lot better than a sit in (S.I.N.K)
[signature]
I love my sit on top kayak. I never even considered a any other kind just because for fishing you can't beat the fish on top.

I've never fallen in the water but it would not be good no mater what type you got.
[signature]
I personally prefer sit-on-top. Sit-on-tops have scupper holes and any water that come in goes right back out. They allow you to sit a little higher on the water. Higher end kayaks allow you to stand up if you desire and have high end comfortable seating which is priceless if you plan on being on the water more that a couple of hours. My experience is that there is a lot more accessible storage on a sit-on-top. It also allows you a lot more options for customization of your kayak. I love kayak fishing and have fished from both sit-inside and sit-on-top. I have only ever met two anglers that prefer sit-inside. The only reason to get a sit -inside would be fishing cold climates and wanting to stay drier. For me when I am fishing colder weather I wear chest waders to stay dry. Sit-on-top is the only option. I currently fish from the Emotion Mojo Angler, and the Emotion Stealth Angler. Love them.
[signature]
I have both a sit on and a sit in kayak. The biggest difference I have found is that as a big guy at 6' 3" 240# I tend to be a little top heavy for the sit on kayak and feel like I am going to dump it about every half dozen paddles. The sit in kayak is much more solid. Perhaps I just need a bigger sit on to handle my mass??
[signature]
I have both, I like both. Each for different conditions. I love to lake fish from my sit in because it is big. It could be a two person, I doubt I will swamp or that I will tip in it. I can carry alot, inside, between my legs, behind...
I also have a sit on, enough rocker to paddle down the Henefer/Morgan reach of the Morgan and enough rear keel to track well in slower water. Not as much storage, I know it won't sink.

If I were buying my first I would evaluate where you plan to fish the most with it, how you will transport/load it, how much gear you need to have with you and how easy you want to access that gear.

If I were buying another I would look for a longer, wider sit-on top. Probably with a higher raised seat and indents for a cooler, milk crate, couple of rod holders, electronics post and a drink holder. For hard rigging, a rudder steering system, anchor cleats and an umbrella mount.

Get a kayak that fits too, if you are a big guy, you should be on a big kayak.
[signature]
You might think about an inflatable sit-on kayak. I have one that I love. I just got into lake fishing last year and tired of standing on the shore. This year I looked at getting out on the water. I realized right away I needed to determine that I wanted to be able to do on the water (drift, paddle, anchor, troll) and if I to always do it alone or with someone else.

I determined that I:
- Wanted to have the option to be able to fish with my son's or grandsons.
- Wanted to have the option to troll.
- I didn't want to have to trailer or mount the boat on top of my vehicle.
- I wanted to be able to haul my boat in virtually any vehicle.
- I didn't want to spend a tremendous amount.
- I wanted comfort and flexibility to customize.

This lead me to a high quality, low cost, 2 person, sit-on-top inflatable. I bought the kayak and then customized it to meet my requirements. My inflatable supports 700 lbs so I was able to check everything off on my list. I have used it about 10 times now and it functions flawlessly. I have a Suburban that I generally throw the kayak and the accessories into and head out. It takes less than 20 minutes to inflate and install the accessories I am using that day and I can take it any where. We have taken it in the trunk of a sedan as well. By accessories I am talking about up to 8 rod holders, fish finder, anchor, stabilizer pontoons, boat seats and even a Minn Kota trolling motor. Storing it at home takes very little space. The Kayak by itself weights 35 lbs.

I would advise to figure out what you want to be able to do on the water, how much you want to spend and find what fits those needs, but I would not overlook the inflatable option.

I have attached a couple photos of two of the configurations I commonly use. One without a motor and the other with.

Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the water for you. It took me months to figure it out.
Nice setup ! How do you like your Saturn? I currently have an inflatable raft that I modded out as well and have been thinking of upgrading to one of the Saturn kaboats..
[signature]
In response to, "How to I like my Saturn inflatable"...

I love the Saturn inflatable Kayak. It looks and feels really tough. I looked at a Kaboat because if is most likely a little more stable and easier to attach a motor but it is about 10 lbs heavier and takes up a little more room in vehicle. With that said, after researching extensively, I believe the Saturn products to be the best bang for the buck in inflatables. You could spend double or triple on another and not have as good or better quality. They are made in Canada and have only a few distributors in the USA. I believe they are gaining in popularity as the distributors have been out of stock a number of times. A contributing factor is their very competitive price.

If you get one, I don't think you will regret it.
[signature]
love2fish. This is a dang cool set up. I am going to look into it further.
[signature]
I just went thru this as I was kayak shopping this week. I ended up going with the Trip 10 angler kayak at Dick's. $50 off this week. It's sit in.

I love fishing from it. I went with sit in because for similar features the sit-in seem To be cheaper. I also like to troll and it seemed like the v-shaped hull would be a bit quicker. I also like the nice, small 10.5 ft size so I can chuck it in my pickup. It's also nice and light and so easy to carry.

Mine also has a nice, large well/opening which is cool, cause I can paddle one of the kids or my dog around with me if I want (we did this at Salem pond today)

Downsides: I spent 4h at silver flat yesterday and had to get out halfway thru to fish from the shore so I could stretch my dang legs. (I largely expected this) I bet that's better with a sit on top. Also, no chance I'll be able to stand up.

Going to try strawberry tomorrow morning.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the comments! They have all been helpful! I can't wait to get a kayak and do some fishing away from shore! In the past I've used a float tube but it is time to get out of the cold water when I fish in the fall!
[signature]