Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
finally a striper. Volume 2
[cool]Went fishing yesterday after work at Lake Mead to see if I could catch another striper or at least some trout since trout were planted yesterday morning. It started slow for stripers, so after two hours I went to the cove for some trout. I was able to catch two 12" trout in about 30 minutes tossing a Little Cleo spoon. I released one and gave the other to a lady fishing from shore. I was kicking back towards my truck, tossing a 5" Storm swimbait when Bang! Solid hookup on a striper. This time I was using 10lb test on a lighter baitcasting outfit. This guy pulled line out and pulled me around for 15 minutes. What a rush! Finally netted him. I fished for a little while longer but for nada. This fish weighed in at 16lbs 10oz. and taped out at 35.5 inches. Now I'm looking for some good striper recipes.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Great report BigE. Thanks for lighting up our lives...and making us all jealous.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am a published author on fish recipes. I could bury you in possibles. Shoot me a PM with some idea of how good of a cook you are already and what kind of recipes you like best...frying, baking, broiling, etc.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In a nutshell, the firm white flaky flesh of stripers is good just about any way you want to fix it. The larger the fish, the more it lends itself to either cutting into steaks...for the grill...or whole baking in the oven for a crowd.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have taken quite a few stripers in that size range when I lived in Sacramento. I usually filleted them and either fried or grilled them. The fillets are thick enough that you can cut mini-steaks from the fillets.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The larger the striper, the more of that "red flesh" you will find along the sides...between the flesh and the skin. This is the sensory tissue that they use for finding prey through vibrations...or being warned of predators when smaller. Use a sharp knife to slice this dark material off the fillets for a milder tasting end result.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you cook the fillets on the barbecue, you should use one of those "baskets" that the fillets can be secured inside...to keep them from falling apart when they start to get done. Baste them with lemon butter and seasonings as they cook. As George pointed out, they cook quickly and should not be overcooked.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]For deep frying, I shake the water-moistend mini fillets (cross cut steaks from the whole fillet) in a dry coating mix. I make that from 50/50 Bisquick and yellow corn meat. I add garlic powder, a little salt and some pepper (mixture of black and cayenne) to the dry mix. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I use about two inches of peanut oil in a deep pan. Get it hot...at least 375...before adding the fish. That helps seal the moisture in quickly and makes a crisper coating. Remove when the coating is a nice brown.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You can also "oven broil" the thin cut mini fillets...or the whole fillet itself. Lay the fish on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Squirt on some lemon juice and allow to sit for about 15 minutes. Dot with butter and sprinkle on some seasoned salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 350 and bake the fillets for about 10 minutes. Squirt on some more lemon juice and some melted butter (you can premix a lemon and butter mixture). Put them back in the oven under the broiler (not too close to the top) for another 3-5 minutes...until the tops of the fillets start to get some brown on them. Use a fork to check for done. They will flake easily when done.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of my favorite ways to cook nice white flaky fish is plain old sauteeing in garlic butter. Melt a cube of butter in a good saute pan and stir in a tablespoon of minced garlic once the butter is hot Don't cook the garlic before adding the fish. Lay the fillets in and keep the heat just high enough to sizzle the fish without smoking or spattering. Turn the fish once when the first side gets brown. Brown the second side and check with a fork for being done. Serve with fresh french bread and dip the bread in the leftover garlic butter from the pan. NASTY.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let me know if you want anything more (or less) exotic. I love fish cookery.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks George, I'll give it a try. I like to use the grill myself.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks TubeDude. I'll give those recipes a go. I'll shoot you a PM when I need to experiment more. What are the titles to your books? where could I get a copy? Again, thanks alot.
[signature]
[blue][size 1][cool]Good eatin' to ya. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have articles published here and there. My one published book (see pic attached) was put out in the eighties and is out of print. My book on float tubing is still undergoing rewrites and updates. I started it over twenty years ago. Here is a summary of the chapters (See attached pic).[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am happy to supply recipe suggestions when needed, and have been known to share chapters of the unpublished book with anyone who needs info on different aspects of tubing.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hey there BigE,

I was hoping we'd hear from you again soon. 16lb striper, congrats! Did the lady on shore watch you catch that bad boy? Those storms are awesome baits BUT I also wonder how the rainbow softbaits specifically designed and made for the Stripers at Castaic (TubeN2's homeground) would work on those Lake Mead residents?!

JapanRon
[signature]
There is brand names "Castaic" out there. I have found it in other parts of the country includeing AZ. I'm sure it is available over there in NV as well.

I have used the Storm swimbaits here in CA and not had as much luck as say with the Megabait Charlie or Castaic brand. Please don't get me wrong. The Storm lures are hot in some areas of CA as well.

I am waiting for the Spring fling to get underway here to try out some of my new Panther Martin Vivif swimbaits. They are very close to the Storm brand with two exceptions. They have alot more reflectance (looks like real fish scales) and they have a little more holographics in the internal weights of them as well.

I did do well with the storm lures up in Central Cali. So I still keep them in my bass kit.

Good job on the Striper. I love to hear success stories.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks JapanRon, The lady on shore left before I hooked up. Besides,I was further down the shoreline when I hooked up. As far as the Castaic swimbaits, they would work just fine. In fact they sell those at Sport Chalet here in Henderson. I was looking at those before buying the storms. They wanted $7.00 for one castaic versus $5.00 for a three pack of storms. Since stripers are good at chewing up soft plastics, I decided to get more for my money. The guys that fish for stripers here use all kinds of lures: Old Henrys, Osprey, Castaics, A/C plugs, magnum Rapalas, the list goes on. But once I find a bait that works for me, I stick with it. Of course til I'm convinced otherwise.
[signature]

Hey there BigE,

I mostly fish salt and I used the Shad imitations to fish for calico and sand bass. Results were NOT TOO GOOD! But... the barracuda love them. Yes, my 5 pack of the storm shads lasted maybe 3 fish landed per lure (in one trip).

After shredding the plastic off the lead and hook, one can see the holographic tape wrapped around the weight. Get that tape and have a near transparent whatever bait and one might have a winner. Wadda ya think?

I agree with you about the price! How about making your own mold and pour?! Ever heard of the 'Mead' brand of softbait?

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]I haven't used the storm swimbaits in the salt but have used the storm rattle craw and got hammered both at Cherry beach and in Huntington Harbor. Mainly sand bass and spots. I may have to check on making a mold. Thats all I need is ANOTHER hobbie. My wife will kill me. Maybe I cou8ld do it covertly.
[signature]
Hey BigE, If you didn't live so far away, I'd let you borrow part of my garage.[cool]
[signature]