Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Fly Fishing Online Needs
This is a discovery question. A buddy and I have a start up idea, but it caters to what anglers would like to have as resources online regarding fly fishing in Utah.

So as an open ended discussion, are your online fly fishing needs/wants being met right now? If not, what sort of resources or features would be useful to you online? Do online resources even matter to you, or do you prefer to just get out and go?

We would love everyone's input!
[signature]
I love seeing the really recent reports of waters near where I live (i.e. LoPro). Especially love seeing info on what hatches have been happening, what patterns people are finding success with, etc.
[signature]
I am a "get out and go" type person...Sorry, but the internet is creating a situation where people are lazy and they don't want to take the time to figure things out for themselves anymore, so they expect the internet to tell them exactly where to go, what flies to use, where all the big fish are, etc...Besides, conditions can change so fast, and what works one day doesn't necessarily mean it will work the next, and just because some angler caught a big fish in some spot doesn't mean I should go there and try and catch the same fish.

Social media and online resources telling everybody where to go has some benefits, but once it starts branching out beyond popular places and into smaller places that can't handle a lot of pressure then it becomes evident that it can have a negative effect on resources. That is why most people who post on instagram don't put where they are fishing...

I don't mean to sound negative, and I wish you the best of luck in your venture, but I sincerely hope whatever it is you're planning on creating doesn't involve exposing sensitive places on the internet...
[signature]
Well put Harlin, I agree 100%. The Internet and social media already allow way too much exposure and enable people to take the easy way out. Benefiting from others hard work that will never get them anywhere. You want to know what hatch is going on? Get out there and do some "live" research for yourself. Learn your water and build a relationship with it. I feel bad for people who can only be successful when every step is laid out for them. Where is the fun? Try some discovery and go explore. In my opinion that is more important and valuable than how many fish you catch.

T.B.
[signature]
I appreciate the honest feedback. This is information we are looking for. If anyone else has a thought or two please chime in!
[signature]
I agree with the above thoughts as well. I understand that it is nice to go online and get a quick fishing report, but when that means trying to give up exact river locations and rig set up and blah blah blah then I am not for all that. I get that it could really be useful to the newly interested people that want to learn to fly fish, but there are guides out there than make a living to provided that. When you try to post it all online then that is essentially what some people are looking for. I hope that people will see the art of fly fishing for what it is and actually get out there and allow themselves to become one with nature (it sounds cliché, but it is true).

I wish you all the best on your venture, but I hope that you will keep private things private and encourage people to actually make a friend and go fish with them to learn how and where to go. Get out and explore.
[signature]
Might have to drop a hint (or two) to steer us in the right direction. Obviously some people are off the rails already on a subject that you didn't even suggest.

If you looking to create another Utah fly fishing website/forum/ad bomb, then I would say it is all out there already. The only thing that differentiates them is the quality of their moderators. The rest of the boilerplate (hatch charts, fishing reports, fly patterns) are quite easy to find. I am guessing it is more than that however (considering that you're trolling a Utah fly fishing forum for ideas). [Smile]

If it is some type of catch-all e-catalog, see FishWest. In fact, your comment of "but it caters to what anglers would like to have as resources online regarding fly fishing in Utah" sounds almost exactly like their mission statement.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing without letting the entire thing out. I understand, and good luck. [Wink]
[signature]
WE are "off the rails already on a subject that you didn't even suggest?"

May want to add yourself to that list then buddy because the OP didn't suggest anything your talking about.
[signature]
No need to flame Troutbum. OP asked a question. You didn't answer it; instead choosing to complain about people who like to get fishing info online before heading out to the water. Joe Dizzy actually did answer the OP's question with some very useful feedback.
[signature]
It hasn't been brought up yet, so I figured I would mention it. There have been a few internet flyfishing forums and "resources" that have come and gone over the years. One in particular was successful for a while, then slowly imploded in a wave of negativity, indifference, and spam.

It might be difficult to prevent history from repeating itself with your hypothetical new effort.
[signature]
web sites like these including BFT are for people who just want info handed to them and are too lazy to get out and figure things out for themselves. Its called discovery. Look into it.
[signature]
If you are so opposed to people sharing information about fishing, I'm not sure why you signed up for the forum in the first place. The rest of us here at BFT enjoy sharing our hobby with others.

I'm not sure what the OP has in mind for a fishing-related app, but I for one would be interested in an app that would help me arrive at the water more prepared with info that will help me catch more fish.
[signature]
[quote Troutbum_kelly]

May want to add yourself to that list then buddy...

[/quote]

My apologies if I gave you the impression that I wanted to be your buddy.
[signature]