Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Northern Utah
Hey everyone, Just moved up to northern Utah and have started trying some of the waters up this way. I have 3 little boys that I love to take out fishing with me and recently bought a boat to help make that a little easier (no rocks to through in the water from a boat). any suggestions on good spots to take the little ones would be greatly appreciated
[signature]
Welcome to the site betterthanwork, I'm going to move your post to our Utah board, hopefully you will get a response to your question there.
WH2
[signature]
Welcome and thanks for posting. I would recommend Mantua Reservoir. My grand kids have had lots of fun trips there, from my boat, catching bluegill and an occasional bass, trout or perch.
[signature]
Where exactly are you from and what do you like to target for fish?

Hyrum dam is a good spot to take a family fishing.. Pretty easy to catch some planter bows... In fact they are actually getting pretty good sized now, but the numbers are down a little... Trolling works well, targeting off the swim beach area has been good for me... Sometimes down off the boat docks isn't too bad either..

Willard Bay has been doing well lately for wiper, crappie and a few walleye and catfish, but it's a more difficult water to figure out... Have fun and good to have you on the board... Later J
[signature]
Don't know how far north you are, so I will tell you my favorite waters from Salt Lake up

East Canyon- Very rarely have I gone here and not caught fish. Mostly trout but caught a few smallies as well. A blast to go trolling there in the fall

Mantua- A great warm water fishery, caught my first largemouth bass there. Also has lots of panfish. The later it gets in the year the more you'll need a boat due to the prolific weed growth

Newton- Don't know what kind of shape Newton's in nowadays, but I had one of the best days of my fishing life there when I caught a perch every cast then a Tiger Musky. If the water year is good you should be fine. I'd go in the fall.

Logan River- I do a lot of fly fishing, and have caught countless browns on a dry fly here. Went 6 days a week sometimes. I don;t know if you fly fish but a very fun river to fish. You could also use spinners, and some spots you can use bait.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! Lots of places here in the north. How far are you willing to travel?
[signature]
Thanks for all of the good advice. I am not picky in the fish I am targeting. some of the most fun I have had fishing has been catching monster carp at lake Powell. Mostly I just like to fish with my boys ( 7,5 and 3). We have done lots of fishing in the Unitas, and up in star valley Wyoming but now that we have a boat I am anxious to try some new bodies of water that are a little closer to home (Layton). My oldest is very interested in catching a variety of fish and learning about them. We went to Willard 2 weeks ago and after the first wiper he said he was ready to catch a "crappy". We were going to head to East Canyon tonight after work but it looks like the wind is going to keep us off of the lake.

I have never fished East Canyon "soft water" before. Ice fishing has always been good there though. Any suggestions on where and how to fish that lake?
[signature]
Welcome aboard and I love the user name! I too live in Layton and was going to suggest East Canyon... It's more senic then willard and usually always produces decent trout. I usually troll along the shore straight across from the marina and do alright. Good luck, I look forward to your reports!
[signature]