Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackle and gear storage
One thing that irks me is clutter all over the boat. It's a potential hazard if the water gets rough and people stepping around can break stuff. I have plenty of rod holders so that's not a problem, but when it comes to my tackle boxes plus every one else's tackle, what have y'all found to be the best way to manage the stuff.
Here's what I do. I usually use a 5 gal bucket and all of my stuff fits in that. It's kinda helter-skelter, but it works. When it comes to other people and their stuff what have you found that works? Maybe buckets for their stuff? I know it's a bit OCD but I also want to make sure others have a good time and not be put off. I don't have locker storage on the boat and don't have a lot of under seat storage either. The only unused storage is if I open up the center console but that's a pain sometimes. Let me know what y'all do for this kind of stuff.
Thanks.
[signature]
For us all lures are in tackle boxes change out lure goes in its assigned box. Rods not being used go along sides of boat. Our rods 8-9' won't fit in rod storage. Net on side also or front of boat if we are trolling. Release tools stored in one location on boat. Not much help but stay organized a stray lure will find human skin and broken expensive rods hurts...been there done that...just be somewhat organized. Be careful selecting plastic boxes for lures that are rubber...some plastic boxes eat rubber lures or visa-versa...
[signature]
I use the plastic tote boxes with snap lids. The ones you get at Wal Mart or other big box stores. They come in all sizes, clear and colored. Rain proof as well. I carry my Plano tackle boxes, other tackle boxes, bags, rain gear, and any other extraneous "stuff" in them.
[signature]
I also use the plastic lure boxes and try to keep them in my bucket. I've had those boxes get broken before so trying to keep them in one area helps minimize the mess. Has anyone built PVC organizers or fashioned up their own diy organizers? When it comes to scents, lures, squids and wedding rings with attached leaders and all the odd shape stuff finding the perfect solution is impossible. Compromise is the name of the game I guess.
[signature]
I'm sure TubeTude has some ideas...for us depending on species of fish we swap our boxes don't need extra crapola in das-boat...I'm sure other anglers do the same...if your going after a certain species...take that tackle. Now for what your describing like worm harnesses, lures attached to line, leaders you can use what's on the market easy to find or look at what your ole imagination...but with imagination make sure items are stored properly... I've attached a pic of an average worm harness storage.. we have a designated tackle box(s) for what species we fish for...all tackle in the soft/hard box. Its easy to be anxious to get the line in the water after a catch to toss a lure on seat, floor, dashboard and forget about it...until OUCH OMG hook removal...yep been there and done that...got cutters and a hook removal kit on boat...thank god for the hook cutters we had several years ago...hook in hand Tiger Muskie in net...good equipment and knowing where its at VITAL...again Al Gore's internet one can find out all kinds of good and gee-whiz info...[Smile]
[signature]
It probably depends a bit on your boat and the layout. I have a closed bow, I/O motor boat. I definitely go overkill with the tackle I bring, but I found a very large tackle box that, instead of the traditional open box, it has 4 pull out plano boxes (the clear ones with the snap lids) in 2 different sized. It is a soft side box but has a bit top section that also holds one of the larger plano boxes and 2 huge pockets, one on each side. I have the planos divided for different types of fishing or lures, and have some swivels, etc in each. I pull one out depending on what I want at the time and set it out on top of the motor cover. There is a little tray section on the motor cover where I keep pliers, a lure or hook I just switched out, pocket knife, etc. The things I will likely use quickly.
Extra poles and nets go between the seats and the side of the boat so they are out of the way.
It's not perfect, but functional and keeps the stuff off the floor.

Now I just need to get it out a bit this year. I was trying to sell a house last year, and the friend that I used to go with has faded away........
[signature]
My wife informed me that I have too much stuff. That's like saying she has too many shoes. Anyway, I'm thinking of making or finding a tray that the scent bottles and frequently used items can be stored on. Maybe even incorporating a cutting board on it with knife holders. Maybe even plumbing my washdown pump to the cutting board area to wash it off and have it drain properly........ Humm too many ideas and not enough time.
[signature]
I ve grown to like the plastic, two sided compartment boxes for all standard stuff such as jigs, cranks, etc. For worm harness and koke rigs, I like to buy one of those water weenies and wrap my harnesses around small sections of the weenie. Just drive a small nail in the weenie, then wrap harness around a few turns. Cleans up a lot for this type stuff
[signature]
I have 4 different clear hobby organizers that are organized by their intended species, they are cheap and work great for lures. For rod storage I have room for about 20 rods.
[signature]
Me I'm thinking about buying a trailer to pull behind my boat for all
fishing
this is on Hagensfish page 187 you can buy it other places but cost more
PLANO SNELL HOLDER CONTAINER
Net price per each. $3.25
» Plano model # 3600
» Durable body with locking lid
» Holds 18 Snell Holders
SNELL HOLDER $0.17 each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhZObIyFFVk

I bot this at wall mart