Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River terms
This data was collected from the "Teton Valley Lodge" re Matt Berry
Have you heard the new song "River" by Bishop Briggs? It was released in January. Check it out. Good stuff.

If you're not into alt rock you may have to stretch your mind a bit. It'll be worth it.

Bishop got me thinking about our rivers. I guess I'm really always thinking about them. However, it got me thinking you may want to know more about some river and water terms we are used to and ones we rely on for information.

Cubic feet per second (cfs) is a rate of the flow, in streams and rivers, for example. It is equal to a volume of water one foot high and one foot wide flowing a distance of one foot in one second. One "cfs" is equal to 7.48 gallons of water flowing each second. As an example, if your car's gas tank is 2 feet by 1 foot by 1 foot (2 cubic feet), then gas flowing at a rate of 1 cubic foot/second would fill the tank in two seconds.

Discharge is the volume of water that passes a given location within a given period of time. Usually expressed in cubic feet per second. gage height--the height of the water surface above the guage datum (zero point).

Gage height is often used interchangeably with the more general term, stage, although gage height is more appropriate when used with a gage reading.

Guaging station is a site on a stream, lake, reservoir or other body of water where observations and hydrologic data are obtained. The U.S. Geological Survey measures stream discharge at gaging stations.

100-year flood. A 100-year flood does not refer to a flood that occurs once every 100 years, but to a flood level with a 1 percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year.

I've compiled some important locations and data for you on our site. Look at our river conditions any time you want. The data is practically live.

It updates constantly. Not only can you see the river and reservoirs you can see the amount of snow we have in the mountains. Its pretty cool data.

Our rivers are in good shape coming into spring. The reservoirs are holding a good amount of water too.

If looking at the river data gets you jazzed to hit the river, give me a shout. Let's go fishing. See you out there.
[signature]