Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper fishing was off the hook 4/29
I left work early today and got out on Willard about 3:00. I started by pulling a Rattlen Rap and a Shad Rap in Freeway Bay and hooked up almost immediately, landed and released my first small Wiper of the day. I trolled for 30 more minutes with no hook ups. So, I anchored off the Feed Lot in 10ft of water put out two rods with mussels and proceeded to catch dozens of Wipers, I quit counting after 25. I was doubled up more often than not. The Wipers average size increased as it got later, I finished of my day with a dandy 24" Wiper at about 6:30.
[signature]
Nice! Just wondering though about using mussels, as I haven't used them before -- are you fishing right off the bottom? or suspending with a bobber? I bought some live ones over a week ago, and have been keeping them in the fridge...do they last? or do you think I'll have to chuck them and start over when I get out (hopefully next week)...and are the wipers swallowing these baits so it's difficult to get a healthy release? or are you cutting lines alot? 'preciate your info.....
[signature]
Wow what a great fish!!! Nice job and good day. Later J
[signature]
I use cooked mussel meats that come in a bag from the freazer at Winco and I have talked to guys that have used fresh and frozen and they say frozen precooked is the way to go as they are easier to handle and stay on the hook better. I fish them with no weight or bobber just a #4 hook the bait is heavy enough I can pitch or cast them 20 to 30 feet off the back of my boat. As far as hooking them deep, I was able to hook the vast majority of them in the mouth, but I did have several swallow the bait and I just cut the line and retied.
[signature]