Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Tube Engineering Project
Hi Guys and Girls!

Love reading the forum and seeing the float ingenuity that all of you possess! This site has been very valuable to me; as a new tube owner,and younger fly fisherman in the community. I hope some if,you are willing to help me on my project to,enhance the capabilities of my "new to me" watercraft. I hope to take the knowledge give and help,other young tuners advance their design concepts.

I recently purchased a used NFO Northwest Express 2 man 11 foot toon. I am trying to design for several cases.

1. Trying to design an economical sliding deck like the ones dave sells but without the 175 dollar price tag.

2. I am trying to create my own custom lean bar for support while casting to trout and smallmouth bass.

3. Hoping to come up with a modular flat deck platform that can be used to,increase surface area while,fishing alone or with someone on flat water.

4. Looking for possible,suggestions on motor / motor mount brands and or models that would work . up to,what hp motor is acceptable and or is a battery powered trolling,motor the only option?

5. What size trailer is best for the 11 foot by 5 foot toon? I was thinking a harbor freight collapsible trailer would work. http://m.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capac...20provided

Any help would be greatly appreciated. There are many threads (years worth of reading) on here so if anyone can point,me in the right direction that would,be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all and happy floating!

Jw
[signature]
Here are some photos of what I am working with!

Thanks for any and all help!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome aboard. Nice lookin' ride. But a lot larger and more complex than any tubes or toons I have modified...so I am really not qualified to make valid suggestions on some of the construction issues.

Best I can suggest is to check out various kinds of heavy sheet metal...like the diamond stuff. I know some folks use that for platforms or to reinforce transoms.

Lean bars? I would use PVC but suspect that metal tubing would be stronger and lighter. The key issue is method of connection...and where. You want to avoid drilling the frame. But there are threaded clamps you can get at plumbing supplies that will clamp over the frame but will take a threaded pipe.

Motor mount and motor size? Weight and placement are the primary concerns. A gas motor weighs more than an electric...but an electric requires a heavy battery. Wherever you put it, it will change the balance and dynamics...but not nearly as much as it would on a 1 man craft. My suggestion is to look at building a combo rear deck and motor mount...with the heavy metal plate material. One 90 degree bend with reinforcing bars should do the job.

If you are putting an electric on, you can probably get by with anything over 30# thrust. But with the 2 person craft you may want to go a bit bigger...and with at least a series 27 deep cycle battery. Good pontoons don't ride deep in the water and have a small "footprint" so you can get decent speed and range with an electric.

Yes, the harbor freight trailers seem to be popular with the tube and toon crowd. Whatever you get, be sure to keep the bearings greased and keep an extra tire.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Tune dude!! Thanks so much for the input! I believe that that is all solid advice. Forums like these are so helpful in the brainstorming process.

I think I will make the standing deck out of oak wood with angle supports that will rest on the frame. Hopefully it is snug or I might be taking a bath. I guess that's why they call it trial and error.

For the lean bar I like the pvc idea due to economics. Still running into the connecting and "modular" approach so I can remove with ease. Thinking about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide. I believe 1.25# d pvc should hold for light support and balancing. Not looking for anything overly sturdy, just enough to limit the shakes while standing up. Might "tee" in a couple of 8" long pieces for a thigh bar too on the horizontal stretch.

Motor info is solid and will need to figure a way to secure a second platform.

Buying,the trailer tomorrow and think I can rest the edges on the fenders. At 250 (on sale) and folding style, can't beat it. In sure I'll use it for other things too!

Thanks,so much for the advice. Any other ideas are welcomed! I encourage others in my position to add to the thread and I will give my 2 cents. As a young engineer and tooner my advice can only be taken with a grain but I am happy to add input.

Cheers!

Jw
[signature]
I will frequently add pictures as I go! These posts are getting many "views" but not so,many comments! Why are the tubers so bashful on here??
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sounds like you at least have a direction in which to start. I can tell you from personal experience that you need to plan, measure and cut as you go. The remeasure, recut, curse and reattach. And be prepared for reworking after your first one or two trips on the water...when you find out what reality is and formulate some new ideas that might work better.

You didn't mention how experienced you are working with PVC. Here is a writeup I put together for the PVC challenged. Doesn't cover every eventuality but at least might help save a few missteps.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Tubengineer]I will frequently add pictures as I go! These posts are getting many "views" but not so,many comments! Why are the tubers so bashful on here??[/quote]

Sorry, but my humble thoughts are some other platform other than an inflatable might be more suitable for that large of size with the mods being considered. Unless the boat can and will be run thru rapids after all the mods, and has the capability of very large white water rafts...

Tube Dude has good suggestions, should I be doing a wrong appraisal.

PM
[signature]
Welcome aboard pontoonman. I am also a tuber/tooner.

You ideas are of sound mind and thinking. There is more creativity that comes from the Trial and Error process as TubeDude pointed out.

He has been through the majority of the tube types made and been able to modify them to personal needs.

I have used many of them myself.

I did notice you have a rather large craft and it appears that it may be whitewater worthy with a few mods.

We welcome any input you may have and anything you would like to share with us. [cool]
[signature]
I had two NFO X5's that I just sold. Betting it is the same frame.
Are you looking for the flip up lean bar that is connected to the sliding deck?
Looks like you have a lean bar on the back seat in your bottom picture. A newer one being that it is orange.
The standing platform was the same diamond plating as the deck you have. It had four hooks welded in each corner. You put it under the seat and in front, before you put the second side on.
The lean bar was mounted with a swivel on the front of the deck. It flipped back over your head.
[Image: IMG_1130.jpg]

totally makeable.
[signature]