Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wondering
its my understanding that lake isabella is east of bakersfield which should put it west of victorville wondering if anyone knows how far west ? and why do i never see any fishing reports from there is fishing there that bad THANX
[signature]

Hi there aquaman,

I think TubeN2 has a handle on that lake with his coverage of lakes. I'd hang for a couple of days for the latest info on the lake. The lake has it's problems but the fishies are there, no doubt about that!

They've still got shallow reed areas and I'll bet those are good. Only problem is you have to walk about a 1 mile from the road, carrying your tube, to get to the waters edge nearest the reed. (east end of the lake) ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey aquaman, I have lived all over southern Cal. I lived in Riverside for awhile and would run up to Isabella "the back way" quite often. It is probably about 3 hours over the "hills" from Victorvile. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]As you have already been advised by our peerless leader, JapanRon, the lake is only a shadow of its former glory. In the "olden days", it was a fantastic multispecies fishery. Right now, it is struggling to maintain its status as a lake, rather than a riverbed.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If the water levels return, it has the potential to once again be a worthwhile destination. And, there is good trout fishing both above and below the lake, in the Kern River.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you are likely to end up in Victorville, you should also be researching Big Bear Lake...straight up the mountains and a short drive from Victorville. Good bass and trout action all year. Also, check into Sherwood. Good bass and some potential honker stripers.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As TubeN2 has advised, you are also poised for an easy run up 395 to the lakes and streams of the eastern Sierras. Lots of good packin trips into the Sierras that look just like the Uintas when you get some altitude. And, there are trophy sized browns in many of the lakes up there.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you wanna drop down off the high desert, you are not far from some good flatland fishing too. Lake Perris, south of Riverside, has monster largies, spotted bass and huge sunfish.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]And, you can always drive over and hook up with some of the other SoCal guys for some salt water tubin'...or go for the world record largie in Castaic.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I don't think you will have a problem finding someplace to fish. The only problem will be deciding where to go whenever you can get out the door.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now Chris, Why would you be looking on a CA board? I thought only steers and queers looked on the CA board![shocked] Oh my, what am I saying, I am looking at the CA board and thinking of San Diego, and I ain't no queer.[Wink]

P.S. lighten up guys, it is a JOKE!
[signature]
hi steve thanks for the info i won't have a problem finding any place to fish i lived in the area for 7 years so i'm familer with the area including sliverwood lake ( sherwood LMAO ) just thinking about new stomping grounds

so daniel thinking about S.D. are you don't think you will find any reports from black beach and all those naked guys running around there on this board
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Hokay...slip of the digits...or water. I meant Silverwood, but I used to fish a Lake Sherwood in the Thousand Oaks area when I lived in Ventura County.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You know how it is with old guys...the mind is the second thing to go...and I can't remember the other one.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Yeah, if you are familiar with the area, you know about the places to find fishies. I really miss some of the old spots myself.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Carry on...and forget we had this talk. I think I already have.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey aquaman, There are plenty of places to fish here. Even the Mojave River runs right through Victorville. I don't know if it has any water in it right now but there should be some left.

I may be heading to Bishop around the 2nd or 3rd week of June. Hurry down if you would like to get into some early action. I will go back in August again.
[signature]

hi there TubeDude,

Boy that was a long time ago. I caught (by flyfishing) my first bass on a hair bug there. That was a really nice lake until the dam burst and drained it! You probably knew that.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] [blue][size 1]Hey, JapanRon. I remember hearing something about it, but did not read it in a reliable source. Are you reliable?[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I discovered the fishing potential by accident. I inherited the store at the lake as one of my accounts when I took over that territory with my company. I got to know Norm Dyer (?), the lake manager quite well, and we used to go out night fishing after he closed the operation for the night. Got some gorilla largies in the reeds around the lake at night.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I also fished the lake whenever I could get up in the late afternoon. Sometimes hit it when it first opened in the morning. A great lake for plastic worms, and as you found, a good lake for the fairy wand. I caught quite a few small bass on some dragonfly patterns in the shallows near the boat ramp. They would actually leap clear out of the water chasing those dragonflies. When one of my fakes splatted down I had instant acceptance.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Also got some bodacious crappies and bluegill from that little lake. But, one of my best stories was the day I was moving around the lake, casting the little docks on the north side of the lake...where all the movie stars had their homes on the water. Remember Eve Arden (Our Miss Brooks). I think you are old enough. She was sitting on a dock, reading and I hooked a bass that almost jumped right into her lap. In fact, she darned near fell over backwards. Had a good laugh and a pleasant chat. She was happy to see me return her dock pet to its living room.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I suppose the whole area is solid development by now. Used to be a good wildlife tour when I drove in early in the morning...or drove out in the evening after dark. Deer, coyotes, foxes, skunks and other assorted critters. At least I still got my rememberies, even if they do get fuzzier with time.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

I'm reliable only when I want to be! Any I try to never be predictable. My mother told me about the dam bursting. Good boys do not ordaniarly contradict or doubt their mothers.

Not to worry the lake has been restored to it's former self ahhhhh but, and yes there is a but.... the lake is now closed to the public and the rich people get to enjoy it the whole couple of days a year they might stop by to see their property. Who me bitter!? naw!

JapanRon
[signature]