Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commins Lake
We stopped after leaving the derby. We didn't know where to fish but fished the section were the reeds come almost all the way across the lake. We talked to a couple people on the way out and nobody iced any fish or even had a bite. We stopped and punch a couple holes were a lot of people drilled holes before. The ice was 20+" so we weren't about to move around much. A couple locals were on the other side and they got one bite early in the morning but nothing all day. Well we pulled a 2-3 pound bow in minutes and they kept on coming like that all night. This really pissed those 2 guys off. The fish would come in schools about 30 minutes to hour so we moved to find some water deeper then 7 ft. We didn't so we went back to those first holes. All the fish were over 2-3 pounds and 16" or better. My best was around 6 pounds. I offer the fish to those guys so I would have to hear the whinning. I wish we fished here all day instead of that derby.

Sorry no pictures, left the camera at the house.
[signature]
from all accounts theres some big fish in commins, glad to hear mr big showed up . . unfortuanely some bucket biologist idiots put pike in there! why would ya wanna screw up one of the best fisheries in the state?

sm
[signature]
It used to be a trophy pike lake so it didn't surprise me somebody stocked pike back in to it. We tried for pike and trout but didn't even get a bite of the pike poles.

If this is suppose to be one of the best lakes in the state I guess I don't have a reason to go back.
[signature]
I would have to comment that if most people had steady action for 2-3 lb rainbows and caught a 6 pounder on a lake they had never been to before, they wouldnt be sayin its such a lousy lake . . .

you sure are spoilt! [Tongue]

sm
[signature]
HHHHAAAA you sure got me on that. Now that I think about it I really do get to fish a lot. I can think of one other BFTer that is spoilled as well.

I caught 5 fish in 1 1/2 to 2 hours and missed about 6 more bites; basically a fish on every 20 minutes. Everybody else caught 3-4 fish and a couple dinks. I'd still say it is a lousy lake for ice fishing. It is way to shallow to target trout and the weeds are taking over. The best part was pissing off all the locals. I even offered one of the first few fish we caught to them but the were pissed off already.
[signature]
hey you should have known that I would find this post and want more info. where is this lake and when did they put pike in? do you have a map for me? you know I'll make it good to you. thanks any help will be great.
[signature]
[url "http://ndow.org/fish/waters/east/6comins_reservoir.pdf"]http://ndow.org/fish/waters/east/6comins_reservoir.pdf[/url]

this is all i have on it right now moose . .

sm
[signature]
thanks for the info. I might have to se if I can try and get out there this spring.
[signature]
Commins used to be a trophy pike lake but they killed it off and changed it to a trout lake. Somebody illegally planted pike in shortly after. There was a bunch of signs saying you have to keep all pike.

You can't miss the lake its 5 miles south of Ely. The road goes right next to it. Let me know when your going over I might just meet you there.
[signature]
Just be prepared with some sort of windbreaker or tent to sit in while ice fishing there, as it is out on the flats and can get very uncomfortable when the wind picks up..Heath
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. Glad to see somebody new to the Nevada site. So are you from Ely? When I was over there it was very nice and no wind. I'm used to the wind since the wind in Cedar City doesn't ever stop.
[signature]
Thanks for that warm welcome...Im from vegas, we just went to ely for the so called derby. I just wish there was a way to get my $60 bucks back that i paid for my old lady and myself to fish....we caught 8 fish one was a Brown trout, my very first. Ill have pics of that soon, stay tuned. We used a RATSO orange and pink Jig. Which just so happens to be the best thing ive found for ice fishing...tip it with a maggot and fish in about 10-14 feet of water. Youll be suprised at how great these work all the time... [url "http://www.customjigsandspins.com"]www.customjigsandspins.com[/url] remember ORANGE AND PINK.... with a maggot. IM getting all geared up for some great striper fishing, been out twice this year and no luck so far but the warmer it gets the better it will be for me. I fish from the shore and the stripers seem to be in the coves more so in march and april than right now. They are there now just not in as big of numbers. Hope to get up your way this summer to Zion and do some fishing up there, would appreciate any advice.
[signature]
Southernman is always up this way and we do a lot of fishing together. You should come along on one of those trips. Last year he was coming up every weekend. Ya that derby was a joke but the fishing was good if your a kid. I couldn't stand catching those stupid little 6-8" dinks. Plus that rule change B.S. pissed us off. Between the three of us we caught and released fish all day. It was fast for us but everybody around us wasn't catching crap. All the tagged fish came from our area but we had the inside info on where they tagged and released the fish.
[signature]
ive been thinking of hitting commin this year. it appears it has some pretty big rainbows in it. thanks for the info.
[signature]
it should be iced out within a week or so! when are we goin?

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
hey youll be down in zonie land as the tube dude calls it haha. that would be sweet but heck i dont know if i can afford the non res one day fishing fees anymore my heck. lets see what we can pull off cuz i sure would like to catch a pike. i dont know if there is a significant amount of them anymore but was reading up on the place a few months back.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Hey Southernman, I could be interested in going the first weekend of April. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
I know what you mean Xman with those increases. I used to spend all my time at Mead for $21, which is almost the cost of a day license but now they got rid of that license so it's either not fish or fork out $90 buck including stamps. If I do that I'll be spending a lot of time eat all there fish.

Commins does have some nice fish. We were catching 20+" or 10" bows nothing in between. No pike and I really don't think their is very many considering the size of the trout. Nobody in this area seems to know how to fish good so that could be why they were so big. Well that and how many people leave in that area.

I'd look some place else for a pike. Heck even Redmond would be better then commins.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] hedgesd, Southernman and I went to Redmond a few months ago. That's when we learned Redmond Res. has some problems (water quality issues). So the locals recommended that it was Catch and Release only. That's all fine and dandy if all fish were brought in clean (are 2 were), I mean no gill hits etc..... So, if you happen to get one that wouldn't survive it was pretty much useless, couldn't cook it. Not sure how accurate the local was but he was a local. Doesn't seem worth fishing if can't get something for dinner. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
how much ice was on it? its just outside of elko right? i was wondering how long it would take me to drive there from ogden.
[signature]