Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 batteries for 12volt trolling motor
So Im looking to hook up another battery to extend the life of my motor during a fishing trip. Ive been using it for trolling also since my big motor just sucks for trolling.
Ive read a ton of different ways to do it but am looking for some advice from my BFT friends.
Obviously I will hook batteries together neg to neg pos to pos. Should I split the leads from trolling motor between the batteries? positive to one battery and negative to the other? Will my onboard charger charge them both succesfully?

Thanks for any and all advice.
[signature]
That is how I have mine hooked up, just as you described and that is also how my charger is hooked up and I have so far found no problems. I just started doing this a month ago because, like you, I wanted to extend how long I can go on a charge. What kind of trolling motor do you have?
[signature]
Its an older minn kota powerdrive v2. 42lb thrust 12volt.
So you also have the charger split between the 2 batteries as well as the motor?
[signature]
Yes, the charger is split between the two battery's, my reasoning was that it would charge better that way, as the charge would flow evenly between the batteries. My minn kota is also older but it is a 55lb thrust, 12vt, with auto pilot.
[signature]
Thanks for the info
[signature]