Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard..Crappy Day=Crappie Day...
Hit Willard today at 0700, weather forecast was a little off, it said afternoon thunderstorms but by 0800 it was wicked. I started in the North marina and didn't venture out into the main lake because the wind was picking up pretty good, within 5 minutes had my first Crappie in hand, I had a few more hits and another solid hookup that came undone..here comes the storm, headed over to the ramp and waited out the wind and rain for an hour, the weather got pretty nice after that initial blow.

Went back out and landed a few more Crappie in the marina, the weather got better so I headed out to Eagle Beach since the wind calmed down, had a couple of hits, nothing landed, not many fish marked. A couple of guys came over in a boat and asked if I was Remo, it was Moosedog..good to meet you. Fishing was slow so back to the marina, where I met another BFT member Jerkineyes, he gave me a few tips..good to meet you also. I stuck around a little longer and landed a few more Crappie, no Wipers today but was nice to be out, all Crappie came on the fly except one on a tube jig, I guess I landed 7 or so. They all looked like the one in the pic. Have a fun flotilla tomorrow!
[signature]
nice. glad the weather let you back out. did you tie the fly ? if so can you share the pattern?
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Given the weather sounds like a good day. What fly pattern is that in the picture?
[signature]
Didn't tie these ones, they came out of my saltwater box, basically a generic baitfish pattern, the three in the pic are the ones I use on Willard.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pics. It sounds like an okay day with this crappy weather. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow if the weather will allow. I haven't caught any crappie in years.
[signature]
It was nice to meet you also. We had about the same luck, we did pick up one wiper and when the storm came we headed into the marina and caught 5 crappie before the severe thunder storm blasted through. We barely got out before it got ugly! The news said the wind gust that came with the storm was 66 mph we pulled out and looped around to make sure the next guy got loaded ok and the wind was ripping limbs off the trees and a 4x4 metal construction sign by the ramp ripped off and went flying up and over us and slammed into a truck busting out the headlight. It was a white ford and a pontoon boat trailer, they never came in and some DWR guys came and looked at the vehicle. They said they had a call or something? I hope the people in the boat are okay the waves were incredible.

We were just dragging a jig to get the crappie.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]Didn't tie these ones, they came out of my saltwater box, basically a generic baitfish pattern, the three in the pic are the ones I use on Willard.[/quote]

I like the shape of those flies. Any idea what the body material is made of?
[signature]
I was pulling my kickboat from the North Marina just as that storm came in, man it was crazy. I was walking up the ramp to my truck when that sign blew into that white truck. Feel bad for the owner but it saved it from hitting my truck on the other side.

Was that you Remo in the Marina about 1:00? I saw a kickboat when I launched. If I new it was you I would have come over and said hi.

Mark
[signature]
I am betting Hairline Craft Fur.
[signature]
Ya, that was me, figured you would fish the marina with the wind picking up, did you hook anything out in the main lake?
[signature]
Thank you remo, yes look like a basic minnow pattern. I'll have to tie a few up and give Willard a try when weather clears
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast