Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
225 Optimax Prop demo
I bought a Lund last week and would like to experiment with a lower pitch prop at our elevation, currently I'm only seeing around 5200 rpm. My current prop is a 5 blade 21p on a 225 Mercury Optimax. I would like to borrow or rent a 17 - 19 pitch prop from someone who may be willing, this will help me avoid purchasing a new prop that won't perform the way I want.

thanks
[signature]
I just finished propping my 175 Pro XS and hopefully have the correct high elevation prop now.
My 17p Tempest was just a little too tall up here but worked perfect at Powell.
I could lend you my Tempest but I dont think it will be enough prop for you and put your engine in danger of spinning too fast(unless your boat is bigger and heavier than I am thinking).
Shane
[signature]
I feel your pain bud. I put a new 225 Pro XS on my boat and haven't experimented with props yet but I would really like to try a four blade 23. I have a 3 blade 23 with medium PVS and the hole shot is pretty good but I have to be careful or I'll blow out. Top end is still short of max rpm's up here but I really don't need to go balls to the wall anyway.
There is a guy in Layton that has a boat shop that lends props with a CC but I can't remember the name.
[signature]
Have you checked the cups on your prop, that is one of the leading causes of blowout, I would think a 23P could be a bit tall for our elevation...you are welcome to try my 5 blade 21p. what RPMS are you seeing?
[signature]
Not sure, I have a 21ft Lund Pro V, pretty heavy boat...I actually want to try a 17 or 19..
[signature]
You need to give Lee's Maine a call and ask him. Since he is right by Hyrum, he has let people test new props that he has in the past to see how they work. If nothing else the call won't cost you anything and he might just be able to help you find just what you need. Sorry, I don't have his number handy.
[signature]
It wouldn't blow out on my old 200 but there is so much torque on that Pro XS that it's just me getting used to the motor. I don't have to give it as much throttle to get on plane. I think most bass boats around here are running a 21-23 but I could be wrong.
You start looking into the science of it and the little details and you could spend a lot of time trying to find the right prop.
Mercury came out with a four blade Fury? that is supposed to give the heavy tourney angler boat another 1-2 mph at wot. Yikes, that's a spendy one mph
[signature]
Ken at www.propgods.com will give you some very good info for that combo.
He is very friendly and answers emails as quickly as possible.
Be prepared with motor info, boat/gear weight, and typical elevation of boat usage.
Shane
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the info, ill do some digging...
[signature]
Let me know about your experience with different props if you don't mind
[signature]
Hey buddy,
I have a 19 foot Pro V with a 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. I found that I get the best performance with a 4 blade 19. Can't remember the mfg of it. I loose a little on the top end but it has a great hole shot with a full tournament load at Starvation and even Strawberry for me. I'd be happy to meet you at Willard some time and let you try it out. I have a 3 blade 21 I could run for the day so I could fish.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water