Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a rod for a Penn Battle II 8000
My son got a Penn Battle II 8000 reel for Christmas. It was one of those "it's bigger so it must be better" gifts from a non-fisherman. The problem is that the reel seat is so big on the 8000 that it doesn't fit any of the rods that I have. When I shop for a rod, is there some secret code that tells me it will fit this Penn reel?

He's mostly going to use this for pier fishing and bottom fishing (porgies, sea bass, etc.) from a party boat. Can anyone recommend a 2 piece spinning rod less than 7' for this reel? Price range is less than $100. We live in New York City so we don't get too many chances to fish so I can't justify an expensive rod right now.

Thanks for any suggestions.
[signature]
Hi Robotron and welcome to Bigfishtackle message boards.

The reel that you purchased is a beast of a reel. That size is used more often for surf fishing and for piers. I would suggest taking the reel into a store so that you can try to fit it on the spot.

The 8000 series reel will only fit in a rod designed for that size. You may end up with a 8 or 9 foot rod in order to get one with the reel seat that is big enough.

It seems like Wallmart an Sears are two of the bigger retailers for PENN products. Give them a try.[cool]
[signature]