Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Chaos 5/18/2016
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Launched solo at South Marina about 2 pm. Started trolling from the marina entrance along the dike heading north in about 10 FOW with two rattle traps in white/red & white black in color. Turned back south at the bend and worked back to the marina entrance. Nada.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Changed lures to a couple of jointed Rapalas and trolled back to and into Freeway bay. Then headed out to the Openess. Nada.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]At about 4:30, just west of the island, changed to bigger rattle traps, this time in blue/orange & chartreuse/orange. Less than 2 minutes later the left rod gets a taker. 1.5 pound wiper. As it hit the net, the right rod goes off. Unhook first fish and release and bring the second to the net. 2.6 pound wiper. Reset first rod and start to reset second when first rod goes off again. Another 1.4 wiper. Finally get both rods reset and 5 minutes later right rod goes off. Another 1.5 pounder. Ten minutes later the left rod goes off with another 1.5 pounder. Five in the boat in less than 30 minutes.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Time to call it a day as I have some country ribs & kraut slow cooking at home and calling to me to come and get 'em. Turn and head for the marina and wham, bang, double header. Yee haa, 2 fish on. Netted and released both (1.5 lbs each) and called it a day.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Seven wipers in less than an hour. The very slightest of breezes, 70 degree air, 68 degree water, no power squadron, and severe clear sky. It for sure doesn't get any better than that.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Nice report.

We launched out of the N Marina about 5:30 and trolled the exact pattern, all along the east dike up tight. Didn't see any fish on the finder so we ventured out towards the island.

Ended up taking home 2 nice wipers and called it a night.
[signature]
Great job Bob. Sounds like you were really hopping once you got into them so any bugs that were there you may have not even noticed very much. When it's on, it's really on...

Since you were solo, my guess is you didn't need to use your planer boards? hehe
That's the exact spot I was planning on heading to in a couple hours! Freeway Bay has been slow lately, I have found fish in the general area you described and other random spots out in the middle. All this weird weather has them spread out, and it looks like we are going to be hit with another big wind storm Friday!
Good job catching!
[signature]
[quote jjannie]Great job Bob. Sounds like you were really hopping once you got into them so any bugs that were there you may have not even noticed very much. When it's on, it's really on...

Since you were solo, my guess is you didn't need to use your planer boards? hehe[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Very few midges, no mosquitoes, and no boards. I was out 75 feet on both reel counters.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I think th cleaning station at the North Marina is functioning, though.

It might be that the South one was open until some dunderhead used it incorrectly and clogged it. AGAIN!
[signature]
Nice work. I have yet to get out this year and am going to try this next week. Any luck this year for walleye?
[signature]
[quote bmitchell]Any luck this year for walleye?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]None! [:/][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
To be expected[:/]
[signature]
What no bugs!?!?!?

So if you were not catching at least you would not be inhaling bugs or getting them all smushed onto your clothing or the boat seats as you get up and down changing your set ups/offerings [laugh] and you can still enjoy the outing.
Fished solo 11:00 to 3:00 from the south marina Wed also, trolled the entire time for a total of 3 catfish. 2 on worm harness and one on crank.
Better that my usual Skunk but certainly not the Chaos you experienced, maybe next time. I could use a little Chaos!!
[signature]
And you fished alone when I am but a call or a PM away?
[signature]
Sounds like you had a good time, Bob. The ribs sounded good too 'til you added the kraut.
[signature]