Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South fork snake river
I finally made it up to the south fork after weeks of anticipation. Me and 2 friends from work started out below paliSades dam around 7 am. We fished there with worms and lures til about 10 with no luck. The water was really moving and we were having a tough time keeping our lines down so we decided to try our luck up at the reservoir. We fished there til about 1 and I managed one small rainbow and a few bites but not really anything worthwhile going on so we headed back down to the river and found a few nice little spots along the highway were we caught and released about 15 cutts between us. I also got a nice 17-18 in hybrid. All in all a great day, biggest fish was a 19-20 in cutthroat I caught on a worm. Didnt get too many pics cuz all we caught was mainly cutts and we just wanted to get em back in the water as quickly as possible. But heres a few
[signature]
I fished today from Fullmer to Wolf in my buddy's drift boat. It was great. We caught lots of 10"-15" cutthroats and a couple nice 17" German Browns.
[signature]
Sweet loookin Brown! On the fly???
[signature]
This time it was with a dynamic lures version of a Rapalas. Brown trout flavor. Those brownies are serious cannibals!
[signature]
Nice, I got the white one with a blue eye but the small one. You were probably using the j spec I imagine for that hog.
[signature]
The best part was I watched him come from bottom and chase the lure then I stopped reeling about 6ft from the boat and he hammered it. Of course he took off like a shot after that jumping and head shaking trying to spit those treble hooks but I had his number and got him landed.
[signature]
Nice work! I'll have to pick up a couple of those to try with my rapalas, they look good. Those browns are so aggressive, they are too much fun. The SF has been fishing really well lately, however, I just wanted to post on here to let people know. They are raising the river levels, have raised it 2000 cfs between yesterday and today and its still climbing. Word is that they will increase it through Sunday. Will probably shut down the fishing for a little while, but mostly I wanted to let people know for safety reasons so they can be aware if they are planning a trip. The river is supposed to be roaring in a few days. Stay safe! Fish on!
[signature]
Yea I read it will gradually go up to 19000 by june 9th... is it still fishable at 19000 cfs???
[signature]
Once it gets that high it's pretty sketchy. It takes a week or two after they raise flows for fishing to pick up again. Hopefully the flows will find a steady point by the last week of June/ first week of July for the salmon fly hatch.
[signature]
Depends on how long it has been at that level and what type of boat you're using. Some of the best fishing I have had on that river was after it had been in the 20's and dropped to 19 for a week. Fish move into the side channels heavily and the edges generally clear up and fish really well.

If its on the front end of the bump though generally it causes too much crap in the river from washing out banks ect to fish well. Our rule of thumb when we were on it 2-3 days a week was if they bumped the flow to give it 2 days for the fishing to get back to normal.
[signature]