Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cub River
Hey all. I am going to be camping at the Willow Flats Campground on the Cub river. I have never fished it before and I was just wondering if anyone knew the condition of the river right now. I don't know if this river is affected by runoff or not but If anyone knows I would appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks.
[signature]
It is high. However, you can always fish in the flats area directly below the campground.
[signature]
Thank you for the info. It looks like my trip is going to be postponed for a few weeks. Hopefully the runoff will be done by then. I will post a report after the trip. Thanks again.
[signature]
Grew up fishing Willow Flats. That was my dad's favorite. We always had great luck with either a rennigade or a prince nymph. Depending on the time of year too there is usually some pmd action. Spinners or worms work great too of course if you have kids with you, or they are slow on the fly. There are a couple good holes just above the bridge, but most the fishing is below. Best of luck!
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I have never been up there before so I really appreciate the info. I am hoping to get up there in the next few weeks.
[signature]
It pretty much always looks like its flooded and not fishable, but just look at the pools and watch for all the brookies rising. They are there for sure. Also, if you want to get into some good Cutty action then head down from the camp ground (drive a couple miles down stream). They like purple haze down stream as well. Just in case you want to break it up from the flats. Look forward to hearing how it goes. The brookies in the flats are a blast. Small, but beautiful!
[signature]
Awesome. Thank you, It's been a while since I got into some brookies. I'm excited to get out there.
[signature]
Ok so I finally made my trip up to Willow Flat Campground over the weekend. Thank you all for the info. Fishing was great. There were not a whole lot of fish rising over the weekend but I did manage to get a few on dries. I used a Frenchie nymph below my dry and it did very well. I found one whole were there was a fish on nearly every cast. I don't know if they had planted lately but I caught a ton of rainbows and some brookies. The rainbows probably out weighed the brookies 5 to 1. I did not get into any cuts. It was a great trip and I will definitely get back up there. Thanks again for the help everyone.
[signature]
Great to hear! That is pretty cool about the bows. In the past I primarily only caught brooks. Too bad they weren't coming on top much, but as long as you are catching em, it's all good! Hopefully I can get up there soon.
[signature]