Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishermen Take Unexpected Ride
Just a little something to keep you thinking about safety first.

The following is a quote from the online NAFC Weekly News:

HARRISON TOWNSHIP, MI—Fifteen Lake St. Clair ice fishermen recently found themselves in hot water when high winds caused large sections of ice to break off and float into open water. A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter crew rescued the stranded anglers.

No injuries were reported, but at least one snowmobile, a car and numerous fishing shanties were lost.
[signature]
That's too bad about their equipment. But at least they made it out alive. I'm glad I don't have to deal with cold water rescues. That keeps me warm and dry.
[signature]
Heh. When I first read it, I started laughing. Then I pictured it happening to me. I can see it happening when I'm up north with Flagman and the rest of the crew.

It's gonna be a blast! I've always wondered if I could surf on a chunk of ice.
[signature]
yep, another expencive ride, cost them $400.oo bucks per person plus they had to leave all their equipment and catches behind. it happened again yesterday, 4 more whent drifting down in to the bay, wind breaking up the ice.

it didnt end just there, up in tip up town 4 snowmobilers went through this past weekend. yet another expencive tow bill, one that AAA dosnt cover[pirate]

there is no such thing as safe ice. and if any one thinks there is, then they dont belong out on the ice at all. that is like saying it is safe to dring and drive.
[signature]
Why did they have to pay $400 each? Don't our taxes cover the cost of rescueing them?
[signature]
nope, our taxes dont cover idiots on the ice... lol [angelic]

the thinking is walking out on the ice is a risk you take. its not something you are forced to do.[crazy]

the cities and towns have invested a great deal of money for special rescue equipment, like hover crafts, helocopters, jet boats. and they want to get some of that money back. the 16 man hover craft cost around 30-50k same with the jet boats, I havent a clue these days what a choper cost.

if you have a car axident, and the fire department has to take you to the hospitol, the fire department charges you $400.oo. I know I had to pay it my self because the ambulance guy could not find my insurance info in my wallet,
[signature]
That is not as expensive as LA City FD. Their ambulance ride is $600. 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile 8 miles. It makes no difference.

LA County FD, on the other hand, handles remote areas, mountains, lakes, rivers, etc, charges $1200 per person for the ambulance and $5,000 for a medivac helicopter ride. The Medivac is only for extreme situations ie: burn victims, amputations, MCIs( Multiple Casualty Incidences), severe head trauma or incidence that require immediate medical attention that are more than 10 miles from any local hospital.
[signature]
4 more went thru on the ice bridge to mac. island , all are safe . but the ice bridge is deemed unsafe !

all that snow is covering up the open water .
[signature]
i hear ya there bud!! that lake champlaine is the same way. that last year when i went with donald thats what happened on the ice when htey were runnin trucks up and down hte ice, finally gave way to this hapenen and thye had to git em off the same way. bad enough to be just out there without takin the trcuks cars too. not only that there not havin respect fer anybody elses lives either. and puttin them in danger too. ITS JUST NOT THINKIN! thats how accidents happen. from people not thinkin what can happen![Sad]
[signature]