Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry on the Fly
Spent a few mornings stalking the shorelines of Chicken Creek throwing streamers early on and switching to Chironomids around 8:00a. Nothing out of the top of the slot, but a number of beautiful fish in the 17-20in range.

I just started fishing there this year so hoping to find some larger fish in the coming weeks. Caught some decent bows as well as a few huge suckers by The Ladders.

[Image: 02%20Cutt_dark_zpsgrn3u8gy.jpg]

[Image: 04a%20Cutt_big_zpsqchqqveu.jpg]

Top producer has been Static Sno-Cone in size 10
[Image: Static%20Sno-Cone_zpsfy3lseuf.jpg]

I love the "blue water" back on this fish.
[Image: 05%20Cutt_zpskeryba2c.jpg]

Surf's UP! On a strong southerly wind... really brings the fish in though if you can push through it.
[Image: 05%20Strawberry_zpsm1rsstgt.jpg]

[Image: 03%20Cutt_hump_zpshfbwnegr.jpg]
[signature]
Nice job!
[signature]
Nice ones. Indicator rig?
[signature]
Sounds and looks like a pretty solid day. Was thinking of hitting it up in the coming week. We're you walking the shore or in a tube? Sinking line? Thanks for any tips you can provide.nice work again and thanks for the report!
[signature]
[quote fishman]

Nice ones. Indicator rig?

[/quote]

Yes. Fishing the chironomids with a slip indicator.
[signature]
[quote ru22dizzle]

We're you walking the shore or in a tube? Sinking line? Thanks for any tips you can provide.

[/quote]

I was wading. Floating line, although that is really problematic if the wind/wave action gets to be too bad.

The chironomid bte has been very consistent. I almost always fish them two at a time... two different colors, two different sizes... smaller fly on the bottom.

Fish them below a slip-strike indicator large and bright enough to see in a chop. This time of year I'll start out about 6-7 ft to the first fly, then run a finer tippet (eye to eye) to the second fly 1-2 ft further.

A single split shot about a foot above the top fly completes the rig. This helps to sink the flies quickly to the strike zone and also deadens the exaggerated "bounce" a bit in heavy chop.

Fish won't be far off the bank in the mornings. Follow the wind... let it bring the food and fish to you. [Wink]
[signature]
Awesome details! I'm excited to try it out. Maybe I'll run into ya up there sometime. Tight lines!
[signature]
Right On. Great report and pictures.
I tried the Mids because it is one of my favs next to dries, but gave up and started casting nymphs.
I was using floating line with a 9' leader.
I cast out then counted to 10. I was feeling bumps through the whole count down then BAM!
Evening worked for me.
[Image: 3_zpswplspqjz.jpg]

Did much better on the water though.with big old bunny's and Type VII.
[Image: 28_zpsfkqjryfw.jpg]
[Image: 19_zpsh1imltci.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the great info. I've got a big box of chironomids but have yet to give them a serious try. Need to rectify that this summer.
[signature]
Wow that last fish is a beast FG! [shocked]
[signature]
[quote kandersonSLC]

Thanks for the great info. I've got a big box of chironomids but have yet to give them a serious try. Need to rectify that this summer.

[/quote]

Not the most engaging way to fly fish, but they are incredibly effective. Now is the time [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks. I wanna go fishing with you!
[signature]
Hell, now I have decisions to make on where I want to fish this weekend, was thinking Starvation, then Lost Creek now Soldier Creek, I need more time! [Wink]
[signature]
Beautiful pictures and really helpful information. I am going to try that system next time I'm at Strawberry. Thank you!
[signature]