Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help w/ walleye location?
Can somebody give me some advice or know how, on finding big walleye under the ice? The lake that I fish is in utah, it has recently been introduced with perch, this has had a major affect on how to fish the lake. I have been fishing on hard water for 2 months so far this year. With only small eyes out of 65 to 55 feet of water, can some one give me input on well established lakes with eyes and perch. Do I need to go shallower?
[signature]
rockey areas , drop offs , bays and cut areas of any lake that has them there . the last one i cought was only in 15' of water just outside a weed bed .
[signature]
[Wink]move around alot, looking for points, bottom changes IE; from rock to sand stay away from muddy bottoms, look for sharp drop offs, any changes in the bottom will usually hold eyes, especailly if there are rocks in the area, move around until you find the size you are looking for, change the size of your lure if you still are only catching small males. Look for where the perch are congrigated and fish just a little ways away from them especially if there is a drop off or alot of structure near by. The eyes will be waiting there to ambush the perch. good luck. [Wink]
[signature]
Walleyes and perch love cabbage weeds. If you can locate some cabbage weeds, that is a great place to start. I've caught walleyes at alot of different depths. I like bays with at least 10 feet of water or deeper, that comes up quickly to about 5 or 6 feet, with cabbage weeds. If there are no cabage weeds available, I try to find the edge of a weedline. I set my tipups as close to the drop as possible. Some shallow, some deep. I prefer to use a #14 treble, and at least 1 1/2 feet of 8 pound monofilament line for a leader. I use either golden shiners, lake shiners, or fathead minnows for bait. If I use shiners, I stick with a large, or a medium. Fatheads, I use either large, or extra large. This is for Wisconsin, your minnows out there may be different.

I have caught walleyes up til 10 a.m on certain lakes, on overcast conditions. But, I prefer to fish them a couple of hours before sunset and into the night; or a couple of hours before sunrise and on into the morning. You will get some pike flags too, so be careful how you work the fish in.
[signature]
most excillent tip.

the only thing else you may want is patients. because walleye isnt like fishing for gills, the action is a bit slower.
[signature]
I am clueless when it comes to walleyes. Never tried fishing for them. Usually don't have a boat for fishing them in open water. When I do, the owner prefers staying in smaller lakes that are fairly shallow and, if there are any walleye, they are left over from stocking several years ago.

It's too late for trying through the ice now but next year I'll be better prepared.
[signature]
hey , you can fish for them in the river right off the banks , just like the steelhead .

three way barel swivel attached to yout mainline , 24"to 30"hook line with a small blade and a minnow or crawler 1/0 or 2/0 hook ., tie on a sinker line to the third swivel make it about 12" . and your all set !
[signature]
True, true. But I gotta wait for the Walleye opener in May.
[signature]
any steelhead in the area ?

that will hold you over [Wink].

word to the wise thou , it's addicting ![cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
Nope, not that I know of. Water isn't clean enough? Dunno.

I've got until mid-March to catch Brown and Rainbow trout in the nearby lake. [Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]

Catfish are open year round. I can get me going after some of them.
[signature]
AHHH , THOSE BROWNS CAN GET PRETTY BIG !

WE HAVE SOME MONSTERS AROUND HERE , ANYTHING UNDER 18" GETS PUT BACK , IT'S NOT THE LAW OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT , EVERYBODY JUST DOES IT THAT WAY .
[signature]
Not sure how big they get in this lake. From what I hear, it's stocked twice a year. Most of what's caught during the ice season is caught within the first week or two after stocking. But I'm gonna give it a try in a week or two if the ice doesn't melt away. Three days in a row we've been above freezing with lows in the mid-20's.
[signature]
i bought some panther martins for the browns this year , might even try them out for steelhead fishing too . spinner swears by them for all kinds of trout fishing , and has he got the pics to prove it .
[signature]
I slipped a half dozen Wallie's through the ice last week including a 6 and 9 pounder,, and missed twice as many.. The best advise I can give is,, remember its now per-spawn time.. The cow's are feeding fairly well due to the fact their carring eggs witch need to be nurished.. Location is the key to finding Wallieye and theres been some very good advice give but I will add that a major factor can be,, water temp.. Warmer water attracts and holds bait fish and in turn attracts those that feed on bait fish.. If possible find an area where the water temp would be slighty higher than the surround water temp under the ice,, or open water if that be the case.. (I've caught my Wallies in less than 6' of water near a warm spring flowing under the ice into the lake).. Also remember light play a huge factor when dealing with Wallie's.. Low light condition is the best,, I tend to fish for them near or after dark when fishing shallow water (iced over or not)..

Coldfoot
[signature]