Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Tournament / Free Fishing Day / ???
Let me preface this by saying: I hate bass tournaments. I really hate that I can't find a water in southern Utah in the spring to go fish that isn't holding a tournament. New Castle, Minersville, Sand Hollow, Quail....tournaments all spring long.

OK. Enough of that.

June 11 is free fishing day! What a great day to introduce people to fishing. Awesome. Great.

I took a look at the Southern Utah Bass Anglers web stie today to look up their tournament schedule. Guess what? Yep. Tournament scheduled for this weekend at Minersville: [url "http://southernutahbassanglers.com/tournaments/"]http://southernutahbassanglers.com/tournaments/[/url]

Wait a minute.....tournament on Free Fishing day? That can't be right, can it?

According to R657-58 - Fishing Contests and Clinics
Quote:
(7)(a) A COR may be denied for;
(iv) occurrence on a legal holiday or Free Fishing Day;

http://wildlife.utah.gov/rules-regulatio...inics.html

What the heck?
so, this tells me that the SUBA is holding tournaments without securing propper Certificates of Registration!

I hope law enforcement shows up to Minersville tomorrow and nails SUBA for holding a tournament without a COR!
[signature]
are you worried the lakes are at "carrying capacity" for fisherman?
[signature]
lol

that was kind of funny!

but, yes. These tournaments affect other anglers. When you have a small body of water, like Newcastle or Minersville, throwing 25 tournament boats on the water pretty much puts the lake at capacity. When those tournaments last 2 days, that's a lot of traffic on the lake to contend with. Between the different clubs, there are tournaments almost every weekend. It's frustrating.

Selfish? maybe.

I guess I just need to retire so that I can fish on Tuesdays, and not compete with both bass clubs and weekend crowds.

regardless, SUBA needs to get their crap together and follow the rules. I still hope they get nailed for not having a COR.
[signature]
I've only had one occasion with a bass tournament guy who was "pre fishing" before a tournament. Definitely a KVD wanna be. Apparently we beat him to his spot and he wanted us out of there so it wouldn't be pressured. I thought it was hilarious. I hope on tournament days they don't try and muscle people out of areas. I'm sure most are good guys though and understand they are passionate fisherman. I definitely wouldn't want to be tournament fishing on free fish day. It will be a zoo.
[signature]
Hold your horses, or watch your bass.

The key word is "may". Much different than if it said "will" or "must".

They just might have the correct COR.
[signature]
The operable word in that quote of the rule probably comes down to "MAY" be denied for a holiday or free fish day.

They could be totally good to go as it doesn't say it is an auto decline for such reasons.

I can understand your frustration on a small lake like that though for crowding. I have fished several tourneys over the years, mostly out of state though and on much larger bodies of water. I find it more enjoyable with more space. you get a tourney going with a ton of boats and it turns into combat fishing and spikes the ol' blood pressure! It seems like fisherman etiquette has really degraded over the years too and people will crowd right in next to you like they never would have done 10-15 years ago. I try and avoid tourney days where I can for those reasons.

They should look at boat limits that correspond to the size of the water body to limit the impact perhaps. It would cut down on the prize money, but its really about having fun anyway. I don't see such restrictions happening though as it seems like everyone with a bass boat these days is planning on fishing the classic and takes it like a serious business!

Just my 2 cents though...
[signature]
My dad was there this morning and they are prefishing it and all were very nice and gave him room to flip his fairy wand for the trout, he did well on the trout, 26 in all but no wipers today. [fishon]

fnf[cool]
[signature]
(4) A COR is not required for Type II fishing contests and fishing clinics

(i) "Type II fishing contest" means a competitive event for warm or cold water fish species, other than a tagged fish contest, that meets all of the following criteria:
(a) involves fewer than 50 contestants or fewer than 25 boats;
(b) includes cash and/or prizes awarded individually or cumulatively per year at less than $2,000 for a contest or a series of contests; and
© does not utilize a live weigh-in

I thought I'd jump in on the conversation. I have no idea on the way their tournament is set up but there is already a lot of speculation going on already.
[signature]
PBH,

Let me preface this by saying that I respected and enjoyed your posts. I expect to continue to do so. You are always well informed and connected.

This post seems out of character for you...not your opinion but your story.

"I hate bass tournaments...I took a look at the Southern Utah Bass Anglers web site today...."

You didn't just happen to decide...hey I hate bass tournaments so I'll just jump on a bass club site, the weekend a day before free fishing day and see if there are any bass tournaments happening...Since I know that no tournaments are to occur on free fishing day...so there wouldn't even be logic to say, "I was going to go fishing on free fishing day and I was wondering if there were any tournaments happening at Minersville..."

What gives man? Why the B.S. backstory to make your point? Is there a greater agenda? An axe to grind with that organization or individuals in it? You are usually more bold than that (which is what I like about you posts).

...as one who also avoids fishing on free fishing day...for all the crazy crowd reasons that you cited about bass tournaments... I'd consider that a fishing tournament is basically happening tomorrow on EVERY body of water in Utah.
[signature]
PBH,
Let me help clear up a few things.

First, SUBA canceled their Minersville tournament for this weekend as soon as they realized it was scheduled on "free fish day". These tournaments are scheduled up to a year in advance, so at times things like this can be overlooked.

Second, SUBA has a good relationship with the DWR. They have helped in efforts to transport and restock other Utah lakes, as well as remove smallmouth from the virgin river system. They would never intentionally do anything to jeopardize their standings or trust with the DWR. You may not be aware, but all SUBA members are human beings. While they attempt for perfection, clerical and other errors will ultimately and unfortunately be made. [:/]

Third, Over 90% of the anglers that fish with SUBA are local Southern Utah residents. Even if tournaments were not being held, these lakes would be filled with anglers every weekend going out to fish; Especially in the spring! Anglers have simply taken something they love, and added some honest, fun, competition to it. Also, SUBA only holds one tournament a month, so according to my calculations that leaves at least 3 other weekends (sometimes 4), and 3 other lakes (according to your list), that you could be fishing free of SUBA tournament anglers.

Fourth, SUBA uses their platform to introduce new people to fishing year around! We do not just take one day a year to introduce people to the sport of fishing, but every chance we get. SUBA's entire presidency is made up of members that were introduced to fishing by other SUBA members. We keep our entry fee's low, so that all may come and enjoy. While I can't speak for all members, I can say that 99% of SUBA members are very respectful and honorable men and women. You may be surprised how much you have in common with these individuals.

Wishing ill will to SUBA for making a accidental clerical error shows nothing negative about SUBA's character, but it shows a whole lot about yours.

Thanks, Greg

P.S. I invite you to attend a tournament or the annual club banquet. I would be happy to have you as a guest to either.
[signature]
Pbh shows his true colors! If he doesn't think it's right then get out of the way.

Edit: No name calling is allow on BFT!
[signature]
Only 25 boats? In San Diego, events on lakes the same size can run 70-90 boats. On the weekend with with no tournaments, there are over 100 boats. We would have to start lining up at 3:30 am just to get fresh water. These arguments kill me.
[signature]
I am really curious.
Hate is a very strong word.
Why do you hate bass tournament?
[signature]
I remember getting to Dixon lake at 3 to get in the boat line. Lol
[signature]
To be honest... we only usually have 10 to 15 boats in our tournaments. The original post exaggerated the numbers for dramatics I guess.
[signature]
Comments about pointless shit at 10am in the morning on a friday??? Shouldn't you be out fishing or something?? Sounds personal to me.
[signature]
Interesting thread. I have fought this attitude ( PBH ) for the last 35 years, first with DWR and then the general public. Although I don't fish competitively any more, I spend a lot of time running my boat for the youth and High School kids.

While there are a few of the Club guys that can be a real pain, the vast majority are aware that they are highly visible and that the general public does not understand what they do. If only the skiers, wake boarders, and jet skiers would realize the negative impact they have on any given water !!

I was the Tournament Director for the Utah State BASS Federation for several years back in the 80's and again in the early 2000'd. While most of our events were on Flaming Gorge or Lake Powell, even on those large bodies of water, we always had some with the governing bodies that made things difficult. There was a secretary with the Forest Service that oversaw the Gorge that decided that she was the lone authority to decide when an event could be run. If she didn't give her OK, you didn't get a permit. That has since changed, but it was a real pain.

On most waters in the state, I doubt that you can even tell if a tournament is happening on most weekends. Back in the 80's I could tell you who owned what Bass Boat, knew almost all of them. Now, there are just too many. I was at Deer Creek this past week and there were dozens of Bass type rigs on the water, all fishing. The only boats I had problems with were the Power boats that would run back and forth throwing wakes close to me, or the jet skiers that would run between me and the shore line I was fishing. ( can anyone tell me why a water skier or wake boarder would want to run in shallow water, less than 10 ft ??, doesn't make sense to me )

So, yes we can put a few boats on the water on any given weekend, but the impact that we put on a fishery is minimal. Remember, all the fish we catch are released ALIVE, and now, most of the events are paper weigh ins, so the fish don't even go in the live wells.

Sorry that you feel so negative about tournaments, but I can live with your discomfort !!!
Well said Therapist. Most anglers I have dealt with are respectful of others on the water. Boat or shore. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been thrown from my boat by a water-ski boat that felt it necessary to come within 20 ft. of me; even when the lake is relatively uncrowded. I would rather be on the lake with 20 bass boats over pleasure boats any day.
[signature]
Bass really bite good on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
[signature]
We were there on Wed and again on Friday. Still pretty slow on Wed due to a lack of wind. It was so flat calm Wed, so the fish were just hunkered down. When the breeze would come up, we got bit. Not sure what was happening Friday as it was slower then than Wed. Fun anyway !!!

Beware the Big Red Skeeter !!!