Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry on the Fly
Hit the berry on 6/18 and did a little shore line fly chucking. The Cuts were cruising pretty shallow and were not totally interested in eating. However, they were willing to take a black and red bugger every now and then. This was over near Soldier Creek dam and was slow, but rewarding as the cuts were 20+ inches. Might head back up this week on Wednesday to see if I can get into a few more.
[signature]
Nice, I have not been up this year since ice fishing, need to go.
[signature]
I was up Sunday and caught 6 on a dark olive semi-seal leech. Size 10 3X bead-head.
[signature]
[quote ru22dizzle]

The Cuts were cruising pretty shallow and were not totally interested in eating.

[/quote]

Normally if you can see trout in reservoirs they are on the feed. Typically won't expose themselves to predation without good reason.

Three good bets this time of year to interest trout in the shallows; scuds, damselfly nymphs, and Callibaetis nymphs.

If you're seeing trout before the sun gets up, scuds are usually on the menu. The other two are more active mid-morning to noon.
[signature]
Really good to know. I appreciate the report and info. Those patterns tend to great up there, but I didn't have any with me. I will stock up today and be sure to chuck em out tomorrow. Were you floating or just cruising the shore?
[signature]
Thanks for the tips. I am not a big still water fisher, so I am still figuring it all out. We were there for maybe 1-2 hours and then left (as we had hit the river all day before that). I will remember to give them some nymph as well. Makes perfect sense. Thanks again!
[signature]
What color and size scuds do you recommend in Strawberry? I've never really seen them too much.
[signature]
I carry two sizes, 12 and 16. The 12's get eaten on most occasions. The 16s tend to get more action in early fall when their populations explode.

I tie them in two hook styles; curved/scud hook for dead-drifting below a strike indicator, and straight-shank for casting/retrieving to cruising fish (or fishing blind).

Colors are quite simple; smoky olive (Sow Scud dubbing color) and Arizona Simi-seal in golden olive. Gray and tan catch fish too, but I don't carry them in those colors.

First light, last light, and cloudy conditions. They are out of sight (and availability) most of the day. Turn over a few rocks near weedy shorelines and you'll see them.

High alpine lakes are loaded with scuds. You can fish 'em all day long in the Uintas.
[signature]
Are you mostly fishing those near weed beds on the bottom?

I've had good success at Daniels Res. in Idaho fishing larger scuds, but size 12 is really big. Looks like I've been tying them too small all these years Smile

Thanks again for the info, that's very very helpful. I've honestly struggled having good days on the Berry.

This should help stick more fish Smile
[signature]
[quote kjox21]

Are you mostly fishing those near weed beds on the bottom?

[/quote]

I fish a floating line, 12-13ft leader, count 'em down a bit before retrieving. Weeds are usually present, but not always the case in lakes higher up.

A lot of guys carry scuds in size 8 for high alpine lakes. Some of these higher lakes have strong populations of Fairy Shrimp. These are relatively large morsels (1.25" long) and trout will grow fat on them if they're present in good numbers.
[signature]