Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back home form the Mighty Gorge
Well it was a great trip after I got over the blowout on the trailer just west of Ft Bridger.

Thanks to all who gave me advice on fishing, I could not get the oldest out of bed to go so it was just Uncle Chris and I that when out. I ended up only fishing on Saturday morning and took the advice that had been given and headed up out of Anvil. Learned a lot and paddled a lot. We thought we were getting an early start but should of gotten up about an hour earlier.

We launched about 6:20 in the morning and paddled out looking for deep water. Right off the bat in about 25 feet I was setting up rods and had reeled in to re-drop and had about a 14" bow chase it up to the surface but no strike. After heading out toward that main lake started seeing depths around 60-80 feet. water temp was 59 degrees. I was actively jigging and felt a bump on a drop. I look at the finder and see a nice hump on the bottom. So I continue the jigging and then she hit it with conviction. Set the hook and then the fight was on I was amazed at how hard these fish pull.

This is my personal best and it is just a pup in the Mac word. But it was enough to get me hooked and I now know why so many hunt these things religiously. I am guessing that she was between 3-5 lbs

Bait used:
3.5 in Pearl while tube jig on a 1/2 oz jig head in 59 feet of water
[signature]
[quote Majja]Well it was a great trip after I got over the blowout on the trailer just west of Ft Bridger.

Thanks to all who gave me advice on fishing, I could not get the oldest out of bed to go so it was just Uncle Chris and I that when out. I ended up only fishing on Saturday morning and took the advice that had been given and headed up out of Anvil. Learned a lot and paddled a lot. We thought we were getting an early start but should of gotten up about an hour earlier.

We launched about 6:20 in the morning and paddled out looking for deep water. Right off the bat in about 25 feet I was setting up rods and had reeled in to re-drop and had about a 14" bow chase it up to the surface but no strike. After heading out toward that main lake started seeing depths around 60-80 feet. water temp was 59 degrees. I was actively jigging and felt a bump on a drop. I look at the finder and see a nice hump on the bottom. So I continue the jigging and then she hit it with conviction. Set the hook and then the fight was on I was amazed at how hard these fish pull.

This is my personal best and it is just a pup in the Mac word. But it was enough to get me hooked and I now know why so many hunt these things religiously. I am guessing that she was between 3-5 lbs

Bait used:
3.5 in Pearl while tube jig on a 1/2 oz jig head in 59 feet of water[/quote]

For me personally I feel that the 3-5 pound macs are the perfect size for filleting, so congrats on a nice catch. And if you think that was a good fight, wait til you hook into a 3-4 pound kokanee, it will have you thinking the mac is almost like reeling in a wet sock in comparison. At least that was my first thought when I caught my first decent koke last year. And I can only imagine how fun it is to catch any decent fish from a tube or pontoon.
[signature]
I would love to tie in to a Koke especially from the tube. I can only imagine what a real big fish would be like form the tube. Glad I had a net man with it made it a lot easier as I thinks she was guiding me not the other way around. Smile
[signature]
Very cool!
[signature]
Any better fish pics?
[signature]
Compared to any fish macs fight like a wet sock, 10 lber will fight like a garbage bage and a 20 will feel like you are reeling in a pair of waders. I have no idea why I like fishing for them...but I do !!
[signature]