Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longing for Fall Brownies
As I melt in the 110 degree Southern UT weather, I long for those cool fall days fishing for big old spawning brownies on the Weber...only a few more months.
[inline "Big Brown.jpg"]
[signature]
Why wait? You are not far from some really good brown trout on the Sevier River....and they won't be lethargic spawners!
[signature]
I moved to Southern Utah last fall, spent most my time fishing lakes in the area including Powell and Mead, but I'm getting that craving to drift a fly down the river.

Only made it up once so far to Kingston Canyon and had some luck. Are there any areas or stretches of the Sevier you would recommend? I am not really familiar with that river.

Thanks
[signature]
I feel like in general fly fishermen don't support redd raping. So I'll take my big browns all times of the year and avoid pulling fish off redds in the fall.
[signature]
I really need to get down and fish the Sevier, always wanted to fish it but something else comes up.
[signature]
Black Canyon and the east fork in Johns Valley is usually great this time of year. Also, the main Sevier near hatch has a bunch of good public access points that are good in the summer. Kingston Canyon can be tough because of irrigation releases but is always worth a look. I like fishing the Sevier also right where you cross it on the highway heading towards Bryce near Panguitch. Marysvale canyon is tough through the summer because of irrigation releases but is great in the fall all the way through winter and into the spring.
[signature]
Marysvale canyon is dead right now. I made four trips to that area earlier this year, and I was surprised to see how low the river was, and the lack of fish in the pools. One of my favorite holes was so low that I could see the bottom all over the hole, and no sign of a single fish... Out of four trips I only caught a ten pound CARP and one average sized brown. That is compared to previous years, when there used to be a fish behind every rock. My guess is with the lack of flows and other shenanigans coming out of Piute that it got too warm in the summer and the fish moved elsewhere. Pretty Sad, because it used to be one of the best stretches.
[signature]
[quote mousehatch]I feel like in general fly fishermen don't support redd raping. So I'll take my big browns all times of the year and avoid pulling fish off redds in the fall.[/quote]

Haha...redd raping, that's great. [:p]
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]Why wait? You are not far from some really good brown trout on the Sevier River....and they won't be lethargic spawners![/quote]

Yes, I know...I'm referring more to the atmosphere, temperature, and being close to my home roots. The browns and cutts we catch in the fall on the Weber are FAR from lethargic, lol.
[signature]
Interesting, my trips this spring were not as good as most years either. However, the Marysvale Canyon stretch is far from dead. I fished it many times this spring up until the day water and was first released from Piute Reservoir and caught multiple trout each trip except the day flows were amped up. That stretch of stream is only a few minutes from home, so I keep close tabs on it. I usually hit it hard in February-April and some years even into June as long as flows remain somewhat clear. My last trip was the day before the river was let loose (I know because I returned the following evening to a blown out river) and caught several Browns up to about 17 inches!
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]Interesting, my trips this spring were not as good as most years either. However, the Marysvale Canyon stretch is far from dead.[/quote]

Scratch that idea now...after weeks of sucking mud out of Piute and the river running like chocolate milk, I am sure that the trout are probably pretty much toast. With that being said, other stretches should still be good; just don't hit Marysvale Canyon.
[signature]