Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I smooth out a knot?
I want my knots to slide through the guides better. What's a good way to do this? Is something like that Lazer Bond stuff on TV good for this? Put a drop of the stuff on the knot and harden it to make the knot more smooth?

I was practicing tying an Albright knot and one end of the knot had a nice smooth taper to it, but the other end had a fairly flat face on it, making it look like it would catch on the guides.

Harry
[signature]
Uni knot hands down!!!! No knot should have a problem passing through the guides unless a guide is cracked.
[signature]
Uni to Uni is a very good knot but the FG knot is much better. Sort of difficult to tie as it is tied many different ways. I kept looking until I found the easiest way I thought was good for me. I love it. By far the strongest knot ever.

It is basically Chinese handcuffs with the braid going around your leader in opposite directions. Super strong. I use it to tie my shock line to braid on 50W class. I am tying 80 lb mono to 80 lb braid.

Modified Albright is also pretty good but not as thin as the FG because in the Albright, the mono is bent back over and doubled up whereas in the FG it is a single straight strand of mono.

Just search FG knot and start practicing.

My best,
shor

[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the replies folks,

I've only heard of the FG knot a week ago. I'll have to look it up.

I know fly fishing has UV stuff to put on flies that should work to smooth a knot, but it's expensive.

Still wondering if this less expensive Laser Bond type stuff would work?
[signature]
Please forgive me for posting the FG info in freshwater.
The only place your can really use this on a fly rod, and I do, is when you tie your backing to your fly line. It is specifically a braid to mono knot but works well on fly line also when connecting braid to the mainline. I fish No. 9 a lot and gotten into my backing a few times. I am glad the FG not is there. The thinnest, strongest knot I know of.

Blood knot is good for what you are trying to accomplish and a double uni. Surgeons knot is a nice small knot commonly used to tie tippet to the leader. It is a fast easy knot.
I use nail knot when tying leader to fly line. Sounds like you are wanting to get the knot that you use to tie your leader onto the flyline smaller. I would go with a nail knot. An Albright is always going to give you that one extra layer therefore a bigger hump to hang up on your eyes.

I love talking knots especially blue water knots.
My best,

shor
[signature]
Hi shor,

I had made two posts at the same time. One with more explanation in it, and this one with less. Sorry about that.

I've ordered a new freshwater spinning reel, and have been wondering about a good way to do the backing and make the knots smooth to slide through the guides easily.

This post was about using some of that Laser Bond stuff on the knot to make it smoother. I've gotten good info on the types of knots to use. I will probably go with the double Uni-knot to start with, and then try others.

In fly tying I know they use some UV hardened liquid that should work to smooth out a knot, but it is expensive. I was hoping someone would know about this Laser Bond stuff, as seen on TV, and whether it would work.
[signature]