Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diamond fork 7/7
My buddy and I hit diamond fork. Got to the canyon about 645.as I was driving up the canyon was going around a turn and BAMMM.STUPID ROCK. Gave my a blow out. My buddy and I looked at the car no damage just a flat. First thing came out my mouth (well maybe the 4th or 5th word) was crap now it's going to be a looooonnnnnnggggg ride home. After a few laughs and a change to a stupid donut, back on the road. First stop just above the camp ground. Walked up steam a few to a nice deep run. I landed 2 and lost 2.wow didn't know they were that small. Maybe 6 to 8 inches of that. But still pretty fish and still allot of fun. But most important got the skunk off my back. After about another short trip upstream, we decided to go further up. To three forks we go. Nice area never been there before and some nice holes around the parking area. Fished by the bridge first with nothing. Moved upstream to another short deep run. 3 cast in and wham nice hook up but not a long one. Looked like a nice 14 but not sure. After about 10 or 15 min later, wham another nice one. Got this one landed and I'm guessing 12 maybe 13 and wow he put up a fight. I've caught bigger ones on the weber that didn't fight this good. A few nor 1 cast and decided to catch up with my buddy (who still had the skunk on his back) to see how he was doing and nothing. We walked up a bit with no luck but some great looking holes with nothing in return. But on the way back decided to hit that hole one more time and ended up catching and 3 more out of there. Just this time again with the little guys.it's about 10 now and we started back down the canyon to a spot that we always have good luck at. But not this time I decided to go upstream my buddy went downstream. I must have went at least a mile before catching one. Caught up with my buddy asked how he was doing said he got the little ones. So we decided to go downstream just a little more. And 3 cast in wham a nice 14.but that was it for almost another mile upstream. Came across a tree in the water. First vast and wham kinda. Instead of him hitting my fly he tried to take my indicater.so I said well if he wants that I'll try a dry. Man I wish I did this earlier. In the next 20 min or so landed 10.all between 12 and 14.but then it died down. Must have hooked them all I guess. Decided to stay walking back seeing I went a ways and wanted to check on my buddy. Seems he already went to my car changed and was ready to go and caught up to me. Plus seeing it was going to be a long drove home (doughnut tire can't go over 50. Sry who ever gets stuck behind me) said yup keys start going. Besides the tire good day. No snakes and all did pretty good. Fly of choice were pheasant tail and sow bug caddis nymph. For the dry a beetle. Browns took the pheasant tall and all cuts where on sow bug. All dry Flys were browns.
[signature]
Great report makes me want to get out on the river!
[signature]
Very nice report and great pictures. ---- Thanks.
[signature]
DF can vary from poor to tremendous without appreciable reasons more than any stream in Utah I've fished. HOwever the one consistent thing I've noticed is that I'm always hard pressed to catch any big fish before noon. If you want a chance at them sleep in and park no earlier than 11:30. I think people that are used to fishing stillwater frequently don't understand the value of being lazy and showing up late when it comes to fly fishing for trout in Western Streams 😀. TRy it with hoppers in a month but until then I'd stick with nymphs. SIze 10 tungsten bh prince are pretty much unbeatable unless the fish are feeding on bugs or flies at least a half inch long in there.
[signature]
I like using a size 10 prince there and yesterday I got no love for it. Nothing not even a look at it. They were not interested in it at all I fished it half my trip with nothing in return. But that is a great dry fly river and I can't wait for hoppers. I love just seeing fish come out the water for them. Or chase it down.
[signature]
In probable a hundred outings on DF from May to November I've never run into someone fishing dries when the trout didn't have the big stuff to feed on that came close to catching what I was with nymphs. DF weakness is its actually a horrible dry fly stream if the various stoneflies, salmonflies or hoppers aren't being eaten. The key with nymphing DF is getting the nymph presented to were the trout are feeding on the salmonfly and stonefly nymphs which are present year round. You have to be getting that nymph along the bottom especially the deeper holes. That why big heavy tungsten princes work well. Another flashing nymph will work down in that bit murky water but I never got one to work as well as a prince. If you don't use weighted nymphs get quite a bit of shot on to get your nymph down or else you'll keep targeting the smaller fish with similar results. I'd always Smile when I asked guys on the water fishing dries or marginally weighted nymphs what they caught. They usually were cocky enough to think they were doing great with results like yours and never asked back how I was doing and what I was using. There is no shortage of over 20 inch Browns in there and there are rare 30 inch ones that come up out of Spanish Fork to spawn in October. When those big ones are moving up prespawn I'd sight cast to them with that size 10 tungsten prince with some pretty amazing results.
[signature]
Almost all my flies are bead headed. And I usually fish with a weight in front on both Flys I use. I always go deep. I've been told by many others that I use to much weight but I always seem to do better with more weight on mine. That day I tried size 10 and 12 prince but with nothing. I usually don't fish dry besides for hoppers seeing I have a hard time setting the hook with them. But when the opportunity present is self like a fish taking my indicator them I will switch and seeing there was a tree in the water a ant or beetle is always a good choice to try.
[signature]