Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jul/Aug on lower "alpine" lakes
How do these lakes hold up with respect to fly fishing during the heat of summer.

Normally when the heat in the Valley really gets cranking I head for the Uintas. In the 8,000 to 10,000 feet (and higher) range the waters in the shallow, feeding zones stay cold throughout the summer. Trout stay readily "reachable" with fly gear.

Those lakes in the 5,700 to 7,600 feet range though... can they still be targeted with conventional fly gear through Jul/Aug? These would be your Strawberry, Scofield, Lost Creek, East Canyon, others.
[signature]
I was at a small lake, around the starvation area, at 6,600 ft just before the 4th. During the mornings and evenings there was quite a bit of action about 20 ft from shore. We had float tubes and were hitting it from the out further, but we did land a few fishing from the shore with both dry flies and nymphs.
[signature]
This is not exactly on the question, but in mid-july last year I was driving past Deer Creek at first light and so many fish rising. I went back a couple of weeks later and there was nothing.

My sense is also that the manti-la sal area lakes continue to be good fly fishing into July and August, although I also have not been up there lately.
[signature]
Nice tiger! I was on Strawberry last week in June and the water temp was 59* F in the morning, which is really ideal. Jul/Aug can be a different story though so I am told by my neighbor. He spin fishes (and very casual) though, so he doesn't care how deep he has to go. [Smile]
[signature]
[quote _6x_]

My sense is also that the manti-la sal area lakes continue to be good fly fishing into July and August, although I also have not been up there lately.

[/quote]

Are those the lakes S/SE of Scofield (not real familiar with that area)? Some of those sit pretty high, right... 8000+ feet?
[signature]
I had in mind likes like Fearon, Duck Fork, Willow, etc, mostly south of Scofield. I checked and they are actually higher than I had thought--9000+ feet.
[signature]
Minersville Reservoir is closer to 5400 ft.
We catch rainbows all summer long on conventional fly gear.

Otter Creek Reservoir is more in the 6500 ft range. Again, those using fly gear can keep catching trout all summer long.

I don't know why you'd ever use anything else, regardless of time of year or temperature.
[signature]
Thank you PBH, these are two interesting examples, especially Minersville (because of the altitude & latitude).

I probably should have qualified my question. I only moved to Utah in 2010. Back in my home state of PA there are few lakes that support coldwater species year round, and those that can are deep enough to stratify. In the former case (of course) any trout present via stocking die off early summer due to thermal shock. In those deeper lakes, trout escape the extreme surface temp's by hanging out in the bottom of the thermocline – well out of reach for conventional fly gear.

I have only been fishing lakes out here going on three years so I am still trying to figure out where that range exists between the two extremes of high alpine lakes where the water is cold throughout the summer (but growing seasons and fertility are short) and the valley lakes/ponds where trout are stocked for the masses and the "lucky ones" get caught quickly (or get eaten by cormorants) before succumbing to 75* F (or higher) water temps.

I guess what I am trying to zero in on are those lakes with a good amount of fertility and chemistry to hold and grow large trout, but remain cold enough throughout Jul/Aug that I can fish successfully with fly gear.

Thanks to all you guys. This is good info.
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy]Thank you PBH, these are two interesting examples, especially Minersville (because of the altitude & latitude).

I guess what I am trying to zero in on are those lakes with a good amount of fertility and chemistry to hold and grow large trout, but remain cold enough throughout Jul/Aug that I can fish successfully with fly gear.

[/quote]

Minersville is managed as a quality trout fishery, with restrictive harvest and tackle regulations (artificial only, restricted harvest). Minersville is a reservoir where rainbow trout actually grow during the winter months. Stocking practices have been adjusted to attempt to deal with cormorant issues, which is the main reason for the restrictive regulations as well. Prior to the regulation and stocking practice changes, Minersville would get "fished out" by both anglers and birds very quickly. Today, Minersville is an outstanding trout fishery, as evidenced by the interest and investment Beaver County has poured into this reservoir with new infrastructure (campground additions, new overnight boat docks, etc.).

Like in any low elevation reservoir in the West, summertime temps are always an issue, and by late summer we will start to see many trout with sores on them. Stress will become a factor. Water levels play a significant role in this issue -- if irrigation users draw the reservoir down to the conservation pool, the trout may struggle worse than if the irrigation draw down is less. When low water and high temps combine, the threat of algae blooms is present -- algae blooms can deplete the water of dissolved oxygen and cause large "summer kill" die offs. Fires have also caused issues at Minersville in the past, washing ash into the water.

Aside from being a great trout fishery, Minersville also is a fantastic smallmouth bass fishery. This is also evidenced by the numerous bass tournaments that frequent this lake all summer long (ugh!).

And, not to be left out, the wipers in Minersville are certainly worthy of mention. A state record wiper is lurking in that lake.

It's a great lake, no matter what time of year you want to fish it. On any given day (with ice free water) you'll find numerous anglers tossing flies to willing trout. Even in the middle of the summer. Those fish, even when stressed due to summertime temperatures, seem to always be willing to take a fly.

This is a destination you should certainly try out. The drive is worth it. (and, the campground has showers!)

Numerous other low elevation lakes and reservoirs in Utah can also produce good trout all summer long. I can't go into detail on the majority of those in the northern half of the state, but many down here in the south can provide great opportunities: Newcastle, Otter Creek, Koosharem, Piute at times...
[signature]
Wow, awesome stuff there PBH... thanks for sharing.

I have a staycation coming up in a couple weeks so I think I'll get out and do some exploring. Researching lakes after work today and found some smallish lakes/reservoirs that look like good float tube potential for trout fishing.

This is all new frontier for me.
[signature]