Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Today -- 7/21
Well, I had to make the trip to Strawberry early this a.m. to try (again) and test fishing the Full Moon phase---Tues. nite was full moon, and Wed. nite also still very full...so 0430 this a.m. looked like somebody had left all the lights on outside....but me and a buddy went, and lines in water beyond main marina by 0645....about 0700 just putting a second line out, not yet attached to the downrigger, bam, a solid hit as I'm still holding that rod, a nicer - released 'bow...fun! Then 0715 got another good hit at 39', my first really nice Strawberry Koke, 181/4", and 2.5 lbs..good start! ... trying to go over that spot a couple more times didn't produce, so we continued on our effort to do 'the triangle'...my buddy got his first Koke here, a chunky 14''er...then nothing again for about an hour....then a couple nice cutts, then at 1030 at the last point of this triangle I got another solid hit and slowly battled another great Koke, by buddy finally netting it after diving/jumping 3 or 4 times trying it's best to stay out of that net...181/2" and also 2.5 lbs...so I was thrilled with those 2 Kokes and 4 caught (2 released) cutts and the 1 bow.....Good Moon Phase day for me, just okay for my buddy with 1 smaller Koke and 2 keeper cutts...
Not fast action, but a good morning...My best action was on deep pink billfish behind pink flasher, one large Koke at 41' and the other at 26'...water very calm, about 60* at start, but getting hot by 1030...No Wind!!
[signature]
Nice report, thanks!
[signature]
Interesting the difference a few days make. I fished Monday and was off the water with a limit of kokes by 8am. Fished again on Wednesday - day before your report. We worked all day for 4 kokes. Moon was out both days, but completely different results. Fish are like gold - they "are" where you find them.
[signature]
what this means I don't know a snap shot from my Onix fishfinder
[inline snp0721161143.jpg]

Thursday took my grandson he has been in Mexico for 2 yr
his mother she has not fished with me in 10 years
(they have a funny video of her that thay put on face book catching a cut)
my granddaughter and her 2 and 5 yr old kids
started fishing about 7am got one koke missed 3
it was to slow for me,
so moved and set up for cuts
using Slow Death hook Rigging used for walleyes
Rigged correctly, the crawler spins seductively, mimicking a dying baitfish
1.1 to 1.7 mph
we got more than 25 cuts and some bows
left at 12 noon.
[signature]

"YOU WONT CATCH FISH IF YOU'RE NOT FISHING!!"
moon or no moon

this is my daughter

https://www.facebook.com/braydon.lavery/...658874055/
[signature]
[quote liketrolling]

this is my daughter

[url "https://www.facebook.com/braydon.lavery/videos/10206870658874055/[/quote]"][/quote][/url]

Robert, isn't that your granddaughter?
[signature]
no that is my daughter (she is pretty cute) she has a business and I have a hard time finding time with her.
my granddaughter would not act like that, she fish's with me a lot.
my granddaughter is taking the video you can't see her face
Robert
[signature]
Nice report. Strawberry has been hit or miss for me this year. I went today 7-22 and fished from 6 til noon and only caught 2 kokanee. We covered a lot of water. We did catch some huge cutts though, but I don't care for them at all.
I did notice that folks around me weren't catching anything but a couple small cutts.
[signature]
Robert, my apologies, you have a young-looking (yes, "pretty cute"), daughter.
[signature]
tks Bob -- Where I'm just learning Strawberry I didn't want to take the chance and give some really deserving guys or gals an 'iffy' or non-productive trip...I hope to be able to do that service next year...right now planning on being up to the Gorge on the 28th and 29th....Earl says there's still 2 or 3 that haven't been caught yet...Guluk that weekend...
[signature]
Hey, I'm jealous -- you got to fish Strawberry Mon. and Wed.? Maybe that's what I need to do to learn it better -- get out there 2 or 3 times a week, but there's so many other fun lakes (Uinta's) and reservoirs (Lost Creek, E. Canyon, Rockport, Flaming Gorge, Willard, etc.) and I like spending time at all these places, so for me it's hard to spend a lot of time at just one, or two...but I sure can appreciate someone having good knowledge, and turning that knowledge into success at a quality place like Strawberry...and that's the name of the game -- keep on trying to find 'em ! ..Guluk...
[signature]
Fished the narrows with a friend 7/21 from 0530 to 1400. 2 cutts in the boat and two that got away. Surface action was going crazy until sunup. Took one on a crank and one on a jig.
Have you had any better days (mornings) fishing the Narrows area? I've never fished S.C. side or the Narrows, but always hear varying reports...Would you go right back there again, or would you try S.C. or the main Strawberry?
[signature]
Yea, I always have Wednesday off but only 1 in 4 Mondays. Took the opportunity to fish both. I like other places as well, particularly the Uintas and Bolders, however when the Kokanee are available (end of May to mid August) I have blinders on. Afraid I am addicted.
[signature]
Can you tell me more about your "Slow Death hook Rigging"? I looked it up online, so I think I get the bent hook and crawler part of the presentation, but can you describe the rest of the rig?

How far back are you trolling the slow death rigging?

Do you have a bubble or any weight in front of the hook?

I am heading up Sautrday and I am not equipped with downriggers. I am just looking for some alternative techniques to put me and my girls on some fish.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
[signature]
liketrolling is up at the Gorge right now but I have been fishing with him using the slow death method. It is just like a worm harness that you use for bottom bouncing for walleye but we were using it with a down rigger. You could also use it with lead core line or banana weights if you don't have lead core line. You can buy worm harnesses pre made or make them your self. We did put a dodger in front of the harness so the trout would see them. What are you planning on fishing for, with them? They are mainly for trout but I've also caught wipers and walleye with them, minus the dodger.
[signature]
Thanks for the response! I will be targeting trout. I have lead core line, but I have never used bottom bouncers before. When trolling using bottom bouncers and lead core line, how do you know how far to let out your line to ensure contact with the bottom (assuming that is still the goal using the slow death method)? Is it the way your line reacts, angle of the line, # of colors based on fishfinder depth? I am pretty new to judging depth with lead core in general.

Also, how much leader are you putting between your bottom bouncer/ dodger / Slow Death Hook?
[signature]
Depends if using a flasher or a dodger. try 12" to 18" behind a dodger. For a flasher I'm usually a little longer but no more than 2 ft. Slow death rigs work best at 1.2 to 1.5 mph. Trout really like them on Strawberry and Starvation. I've caught both trout and walleyes in the same day trolling the rig on Starvy using a small flasher setup.
[signature]
[quote WeekendWarrior] I have lead core line, but I have never used bottom bouncers before. When trolling using bottom bouncers and lead core line, how do you know how far to let out your line to ensure contact with the bottom (assuming that is still the goal using the slow death method)? Is it the way your line reacts, angle of the line, # of colors based on fishfinder depth? I am pretty new to judging depth with lead core in general.

Also, how much leader are you putting between your bottom bouncer/ dodger / Slow Death Hook?[/quote]

LOL, no you don't use a bottom bouncer when fishing for trout, just walleye. I was just talking about how you could get deep, depending on what you were fishing for, your lead core line will work fine. You don't want to hit the bottom when fishing for trout, you just want to get down to where the fish are. With the water temps we have now, I'd let out at least three colors to start with and if you don't catch any fish, let out another color every 30 minutes or so until you catch a fish, then remember how many colors you are out and repeat, until you stop catching fish. At that point you might need to go another color deeper.
Stan gave you a good answer on the leader between the dodger and the worm harness but as mentioned, I usually make a worm harness and put the slow death hook on the end of the harness. Hope this helps, sorry for the slow reply but I've been out fishing.
[signature]
I had only heard of using a slow death rig for walleye too, but likestrolling said he was using it to target cuts:

[quote liketrolling]

it was to slow for me,
so moved and set up for cuts
using Slow Death hook Rigging used for walleyes
Rigged correctly, the crawler spins seductively, mimicking a dying baitfish
1.1 to 1.7 mph
we got more than 25 cuts and some bows
left at 12 noon.[/quote]

I guess I still have the question whether he is bottom bouncing this slow death rig for cuts or just running it deep (e.g., 30 FOW)

likestrolling, please weigh in if you are not out on the water.

Thanks again for all the responses!
[signature]