Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadly lightning--Flaming Gorge
A tragic and sobering reminder that no fish, or boat ride, or jet ski ride is worth dying for. We watched this storm develop all morning yesterday. I even waited too long to run full throttle to the marina after seeing two bolts of cloud to ground lightning, probably including the one that killed this young girl. I was in Linwood, this was in Hideout. Not too far apart! We didn't go in until 12:30, after this had already occurred.

I know this is "off topic" a bit, but it needs to be posted on the most visible and most visited page on BFT. Maybe someone else can be prevented from getting in a bad situation by reading this. I know its another reminder for me, as unfortunate as it is. Get off the water, BEFORE its a threat to your life.
[url "http://fox13now.com/2016/07/22/one-dead-at-least-one-injured-by-lightning-at-flaming-gorge/"]
http://fox13now.com/2016/07/22/one-dead-...ing-gorge/[/url]
[signature]
Lightning puts the fear of god into me. Many times either horseback or fishing with graphite poles. Have had horses manes stand up and fishing poles popping and shocking you a little. Its too bad about the young girl and her mother
I have taken peripheral lightning hits. TWICE.

Let me assure you, it is no joke. Nor is it any fun whatsoever. It's like being hit with a Taser - with the added attraction of burns.

With a direct hit, you probably wouldn't feel anything. Ever again.
[signature]
Yeah Jim I remember I booked a trip with you and we woke up with rain clouds in the sky so I called you and luckly you had an open day the following day. I've been trolling up their and had clouds come in all of the sudden I heard a ticking so I checked everything with power going to it ( without touching anything, if lightning hits it WILL travel threw anything that is conductive) just to look up and see my fishing lines floating on top of the water. I burnt the two lines with my lighter and punched it!!! I've also been shocked by a 7.2 kV line while trimming tree's for the power company and when they took me to WORK MED they found the entrance wound and found blood in my urine then they rushed me to the hospital. We've had people get electrocuted and die after they go home because they didn't SEE anything wrong with them. When hit it will burn you from the inside out. Sorry for the rant but please be carefully with any and all forms of electricity.. And if any of the family is reading this thread my condolences to the whole family..
[signature]
Nice info guys everyone need a little reminder shocking this hasn't been on the premium board wiper killer hasn't seen it yet I guess
[signature]
[quote Littlebuck3333]Nice info guys everyone need a little reminder shocking this hasn't been on the premium board wiper killer hasn't seen it yet I guess[/quote]

If you really want to know usually posts like this get moved to the off topic board however due to the nature of this thread I have left it here for all to read. Lightning is no joke! Be safe out there.
[signature]
Good reminder Jim, be safe out there.
[signature]
[quote Littlebuck3333]Nice info guys everyone need a little reminder shocking this hasn't been on the premium board wiper killer hasn't seen it yet I guess[/quote]

I'll move it to the premium board in a bit, then we will talk in secret about the best fishing during lighting storms and where to fish.[Wink]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Rabble-rouser.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I was just up at Flaming Gorge a few weeks ago with scouts. Lightning is not something to fish around.

I have fished in all kinds of conditions that will drive most away.

But the first sign of lightning and I'm out. I don't have any wish to be out in the open holding a perfect lightning rod.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0][quote Littlebuck3333]Nice info guys everyone need a little reminder shocking this hasn't been on the premium board wiper killer hasn't seen it yet I guess[/quote]

I'll move it to the premium board in a bit, then we will talk in secret about the best fishing during lighting storms and where to fish.[Wink][/quote]

While some of us were ice fishing in the bitter cold, the elite premium board members were using the advanced military sonar in the warm comfort in one of our Ohio class submarines under the ice that came in through huge underground sea tunnels and they caught most of the fish and cooked them fresh in the sub's kitchen.
[signature]
On June 6, weeks before, when I caught small mouth bass shore fishing Flaming Gorge (location pictured) while seeing very distant lightning, I didn't mention the lightning in that fishing report.

I waited out a brief storm in the truck and switched to my fiberglass rod, but the storm had passed. I've heard of people feeling tingles and shocks from carbon fiber rods when there is a distant storm.

Be safe everyone!

To the friends and families of the teen killed by lighting and the lady who was injured, my condolences.
[signature]
[quote RonPaulFan]While some of us were ice fishing in the bitter cold, the elite premium board members were using the advanced military sonar in the warm comfort in one of our Ohio class submarines under the ice that came in through huge underground sea tunnels and they caught most of the fish and cooked them fresh in the sub's kitchen.[/quote][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 6]HEY![/size][/#800000] [/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"]What the blanket, blank, blank are you doing? You can't just blurt out premium board stuff like that. Hillary got away with it, but you don't have that kind of protection. You might want to think twice before doing that again. You've been warned![/font][/#800000]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][Wink][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
No sense getting mad, dubob. The Russians hacked the premium board months ago and sold it all to Wikileaks.

So it's all out there - even the underwater drone fish finder/taser technology. So you don't have to hide those pre-fried fillets any longer.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]The Russians hacked the premium board months ago and sold it all to Wikileaks.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I didn't know that. RPF - never mind.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
We've had various posts on safety (life vests most recently), so when I read this article on lightning, I decided it's worthy to post particularly since the answer to the question pertains to us.

"Lightning kills: Which outdoor activity ranks no. 1 for fatal strikes?"

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-ne...s/70001233
[signature]