Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unorthodox smallmouth tactics
I went out to Deer Creek Reservoir last night for an hour before dark. Smallmouth fishing was good from sundown to when the light started to fade--notwithstanding the constant rollers from a host of boats. Fish were initially deeper off rocky secondary points (I find the smaller points are better than the larger ones), but moved in shallow as dusk set it.

My best went nearly 14 inches--not a great smallmouth by most standards, but better than I am used to on Deer creek. Great fun on a fly rod.

Before dark, I caught fish on a sparkle minnow--which I tie with orange, black, and olive marabou, because i have the sense that this is a good combination for smallmouths. Probably it makes absolutely no difference. Near dark I saw a few rises, but unfortunately I had forgotten to bring a popper. I switched the biggest fly I could find--a large golden stone imitation. I caught one and had a few other hits, though I am sure a popping bug or gurgler of some kind would have been better.

Sorry no pictures of fish--I did not want to take my phone the roller coaster ride of waves that pushed my float tube around all evening.
[signature]
Nice pattern. What dubbing is the body?

I have become addicted to chasing SMB on a fly rod. I think the last few months I have been chasing bass more than trout. I am planning a trip to Indiana for work in September and plan on taking my fly rod to chase some Bronzebacks in the rivers there.

Mark
[signature]
The body is ice dubbing. Like I mentioned--not sure how much color matters, but I think this one was golden brown above and pearl below. A thing I am persuaded about is that it helps to make the profile bulkier by taking a thin wire and making a dubbing rope. I followed this video:

http://www.lakestream.com/tying-coffeys-sparkle-minnow/

I don't have the special tools, but I find that I can more or less approximate it by hand.

Good luck in Indiana. I was in Northern Wisconsin a few weeks ago, and enjoyed a day of good smallmouth fishing from a kayak. Fishing rivers with a fly rod sounds great.
[signature]
depending on where you go to indiana, sugar creek near darlington indiana to the west is good smallmouth water and fishing. Good times---
[signature]
I like it. Good looking fly.
[signature]