Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having trouble catching anything.
Hello, new here. Pretty new to fishing, since I haven't fished since I was young. My girlfriend and I started fishing a week or so ago. I read up on a bunch of the basic rigs.

We have gone up to our local lake a couple times, but there are not many fish and did not catch anything, or have any bites really.

Today we went to a much bigger lake near us that have an abundance of fish. We went out on a canoe for a while. I tried both a sliding sinker rig for the bottom using power bait, and a simple bobber style rig for my second pole with worms. The three hours we were out there we didn't have a single bite, except for one for me, which I did hook, but he ended up breaking my line.

We came in off the canoe and went to another area were there were other people fishing off the bank. There was family there and every single one of their kids were catching panfish at a pretty steady rate. We fished near them with a bobber rig with a worm attached to a fairly small hook and neither of us got a single bite in the 2 hours we were there. We were pretty frustrated, but do not want to give up. So I really need some advice. Thanks!
[signature]
Summer fishing can be a challenge.Fishing for fish in the open water they will be deep in the cooler zones. When I troll for trout it's using a type of down rigger from 10-15 ft. A spinner bait a phebee seem to work well. Best time is early morning. If you fish shallow for bass or pan fish, think structure ir weeds. Any place they maybe hiding. Bass fishing can have it's own challenges. But throwing a seance type worm in watermelon color will help out. Go weightless and let it sink to the bottom. Work the shore as you canoe along. Panfish will also be around weeds as well. They make rigs with mutable hooks for that. Again think weeds or structure like docks. It does get easier. Best times to go are early morning or late afternoon.
[signature]
Thanks for the response. So I just ditch the bobber and weight and just hook a work on and cast it in? Should I let it sit or cast and retrieve?

The family that was catching the most fish were using a rig that had a three way swivel, it had a leader line off the bottom swivel with a weight and the the hook was off the middle swivel, essentially fishing just up off the bottom. This was working very well for them.
[signature]
Every place has it's own rig setup. Yes by all means use their rig and fish it the same way. The weightless rig is for bass fishing, not pan fish. Google weightless worm fishing and I'm sure you will see it being used. Fish4fun had described it in past posts on the bass board. Here is another weightless worm technique that works well for me as well. Again this is only for Bass fishing and moving along the water. Go to the bass board under the same question you had. But be careful as Bass fishing gets addictive. [Wink]
[signature]
I also have this problem with fishing
[signature]