Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pontoon inflation?
I just got 2 new to me creek company sport pontoons. Ive noticed how much they expand in the sun so i am wondering how i should inflate them. Should i inflate them at room temperature or out in the heat. Just dont want them to expand too much and bust.
[signature]
[quote GCFD112]I just got 2 new to me creek company sport pontoons. Ive noticed how much they expand in the sun so i am wondering how i should inflate them. Should i inflate them at room temperature or out in the heat. Just dont want them to expand too much and bust.[/quote]

Where are you located? Air pressure is more of a consideration for those Northwest US area inflatables for 2 reasons- sun's heat (vs. cold ice melt water) and driving to high altitude waters can increase pressure to point of bursting. So the pressure may have to be adjusted frequently depending on being in the water or not. Texas is mostly flat by comparison and water is not as cold in Summer, so only extreme heat can be much of a factor, unless the craft is used in Winter.

The maximum inflation pressure must be known for inflatable craft. It is usually around 2 psi for fabric and around 3 psi for PVC reinforced shells (much higher 6+psi? for drop stitch SUPs). Reduce the MAXIMUM pressure by about 1/3 if your pontoon will be exposed to the sun especially out of water (ie. 1.3 ! and 2.0 psi). A volleyball pressure gauge can be adapted, but special low psi gauges from marine stores are better. Pressing in hard with your thumb in the TIGHTEST area of the pontoon also works with some practice- maybe goes in about 1/4" at maximum pressure for my tube. A normal person can produce about 2 psi breath inflation with maximum effort, for reference.

If the water is Winter cold where I launch, I will go to slightly over maximum pressure because of the shrinkage that occurs with cold water. It is not a good idea to have creases in either toon because that can affect the weight capacity, balance, control and might be dangerous if one toon starts to fold over. On my 2 PSI ODC tubes all my valves except the seat back are within reach, so I have rigged a mouth tube so that they can be adjusted while on the water.

Hope this helps.

PM
[signature]
[#0000FF]Once you become more familiar with how your craft respond to the temperature variables in the waters you fish...and in the seasons you fish...you can quickly tell by appearance and feel when you need to add or dump a bit of air. Firm to the touch is my guideline. Rock hard is too tight. Soft with wrinkles is a sure sign you need more air.

More critical than watching the air pressure while on the water is keeping it low enough while traveling in a hot vehicle...or storing it in a hot garage. Always a good idea to travel with lower pressure...and to store partially deflated. Much easier to top off the pressure when ready to go fishing than to discover a split out air chamber when you get there.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Agree with everything. I run soft when I am towing my pontoon from lower elevation to higher.
Also if a boat feels tight in the heat, put it in the water while you get your gear together then check it again.
I have seen a lot of boats under inflated.
Like TD said, no wrinkles. Use to say, bounce a quarter off them.
There is an air gauge for pontoons. It is great for getting exact air in both pontoons (like car tires).
http://www.outdoorplay.com/K-Pump-Kwik-C...rce=nextag
[signature]
Im located in Calhoun Georgia and will be floating the Toccoa river tailwaters mostly. It will be stored inside in a spare bedroom.
[signature]
Sounds perfect. Just inflate and put in the water while you get all your other gear ready then check it again before pushing off.
K-Pumps are great for packing and quick inflation s.
[signature]
Btw its a creek company sport lt. Actually got 2. I have the manual oump that came witht them
[signature]
That is a great starter. The big rockers were designed for waves.
Those are vinyl bladders which are a little more susceptible to altitude and temp. change.
The K-pump is all hand operated which means you can use it out on the water. They are pretty nice.
I pack one with me always.
[signature]
You have a link to that pump? Yes i was claening them up and let them dry in the sun and they got pretty hard
[signature]
http://www.outdoorplay.com/K-Pump-100?gc...oCdxzw_wcB
[signature]