Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto-Inflate PFDs - Rearming
[#0000FF]I put up a post last week about going into the water at Willard...and how my auto PFD did what it was supposed to do...it inflated. That meant that I had to rearm it with a new CO2 cartridge and sensor ring. Those are the 2 things that come in a Leland rearm kit. [url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M0rM_hZ7lU"]VIDEO ON INSTALLING[/url]

Ordered a new one from Amazon for about $28. That was a costly swim. But it was past time for me to put in a new sensor ring anyway. Those who buy the auto inflate models need to check the date of manufacture on their components. Anything over 3-4 years should be serviced with a new ring. That is not as costly as the complete kit.

Just a reminder: It only takes a minute to put your PFD on. But every minute you are in cold water without it can seem like an eternity...and it might be. And once you have committed to having and wearing the inflatable you should make sure it is always ready to inflate...with current sensors. You shouldn't just wear it to satisfy the requirements of being a boater. It is there to save your life...and/or to keep your body available for recovery in the event of a serious boating accident.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Mine is manual. I don't want it to go off if I get wet in the rain or just stumble in shallow water.

I'm willing to take the gamble that I won't slip off a rock and bang my head.

One modification I made to mine was to find a flap that's not part of the inflatable bladder and button in a whistle on a short lanyard. If I ever go in and need to signal for help, it's right there.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good idea.

But I'll bet it would be hard blowing a whistle under water.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Our auto PFDs claimed they will not go off if just in the rain or splashed on, they had to be submerged?

Pat, Good idea though to check the date. Did yours get submerged or just wet when it fired off?

A whistle is a good idea. We've also ordered from Amazon waterproof cell phone sleeves that come on lanyard we wear around our neck in case we had to call for help - we did test the waterproofing before using to be sure and no leak so they are part of donning our PFDs.
thanks for the tips TD - ill have to check the dates on mine this weekend
[signature]
"Pat, Good idea though to check the date. Did yours get submerged or just wet when it fired off?"

[#0000FF]There are different makes and models...and some are more sensitive than others. I have heard that some will fire off if they get wet in a rain storm. But my Cabelas waited until I sloshed around down in the water before it let go. Scared the stuff out of me. I had always taken my PFD for granted until it reminded me that it was on the job.

That's one of those little lessons in life that I am not likely to forget. And it also served to remind me that I am wearing my PFD for a reason. It sure ain't to be fashionable.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
When I researched an inflatable PFD, I read reports of them inflating in a hard rain. That may have been only some models or makes, but I found a super deal on the manual one so that's what I bought.
[signature]
Hey, I know what you mean about those PFD ignitions scaring the "stuff" out of ya.

When I had my near-death experience last year after I foolishly decided to buy a pontoon to extend my catin' opportunities it scared more than "stuff" out of me when mine ignited. I had caught a smallish catfish and when I released him as a parting shot he managed to puncture one side of my toon. I luckily made to shore surf board style but when I stood up in three feet of water and tried to walk in fins I fell flat on my face.

Bad part was that I had watched a National Geographic TV show the night before where they were showing killer whales beaching and snarfing up baby seals. My first thought when the PFD ignited was that I had been snarfed up by the monster that is known to haunt the waters at UL. Didn't take me long to make shore plus 30 yards in fins it scared me so bad. Patched and sold the toon the next day.

My reload (Cabelas) set back $26.00, plus $125 for a new camera, plus $150 for a new phone.

Sad to admit that I do not always wear my PFD. I usually fish in shallow water so I figure as long as I can stand up I won't drown. When I have my crew on board we always wear while traveling but, especially when it is hot, we take them off when anchored up.

I'm ready to rededicate myself to always wearing mine. Fifty years ago I could swim from Bird Island to Lincoln if I had to... now, I'd be lucky to make 20 feet.

PFD always.

BLK
[signature]
[#0000FF]You shouldn't have "bailed out" so fast on the pontoon. Heck, you eliminated most of the prerequisite bonehead maneuvers you gotta get out of the way before you can count yourself among us.

I really wish I had been along...not just to help you out but to get a good laugh. Remember the giving a hand...in applause?

Really though, accidents...by definition...are things that happen and are not planned for. Something that happens for the first time, and we are not prepared for it, can scare the heck out of ya and ruin your whole day.

Unfortunately, with tubes and toons they are inherently safe and simple. But Murphy was a float tuber/ tooner. He has come up with all kinds of crazy things we can do to ourselves...for our discomfort and the enjoyment of others.

Having fished from floating inflatables for over half a century I can assure you that I have "enjoyed" a lot of things that most folks would never think possible. Some were the result of poor planning. Others were the result of stupid planning...doing something just to see if I could do it. As my old friend Darwin used to say....
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sounds like a lot off scary stuff goes down at Utah lake...bugs that bit your tender parts, man eating mink that ambush you in the dark, fresh water killer whales that gobble you down as you make a break for the shore line.... Sheesh!
[signature]
Before the inflatable's came out I thought life jackets were a torcher device. I would sweat my arss off wearing one. I have a cabela's inflatable that I use now and I don't even notice that I'm wearing it. It has been a God sent. I like that it is auto, you can't expect that you will be awake and alert if you go in the drink. You may hit your head on the way in.
[signature]
Pat I would have accepted your applause in the same spirit that it was given... in fact, I probably would have joined in the applause. Ya gotta be able to laugh at some of the dumb things ya do... assuming you survive them.

I have nothing but admiration for your tubing skills but I'm a boat man, always will be.

I'm going out tonight to play with the skeeters for awhile. I'm packin' heat this time for self protection just in case Mr. Mink want to go another round. Actually, I kinda like seeing the mink our there.... it's just when they want to fight me for my cat bait that I have a problem with them. If he shows up tonight I'll throw him a piece of carp and see it that will take some of the aggression out of him.

Will post up that 36 incher tomorrow.

BLK
[signature]