Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Prior Report
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I read an incredible explanation of FG and how to fish for the macs by one of our BFT'ers. I remember when I read it thinking I needed to go back and study it further because I'm taking a scout group up this week. I've gone back and tried to find it but haven't had any luck. Does anybody remember seeing this report and happen to have a link?

The member went into what areas, how he pretty much drags his downrigger ball on the bottom of the lake and what he uses. It was awesome info. Thanks!
[signature]
Since he was selling things the post got moved to the for sale section.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=984990;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=984990;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Perfect! Thank you!!
[signature]
Have you fished FG before?
where are you taking the scouts?
dragging the bottom is hard if you have never done it before.
if you do catch one over 15lbs you should put it back. me I put 10 lbs back.

Trolling for kokanee and laker pups is a lot faster and may be more fun
me I have 4 down riggers I stack and put two down about 80' (you can see them on the fishfinder) for pups using spoons and needle fish.
and 4 up for the kokes, it does not take me to long to teach the kids how to fish this way

and if you are on the utah side you can catch a lot of bass they are not very big but it is fun for kids. they need to cast for them.
[signature]
Huge thanks for the suggestions. We're staying at the Flaming Gorge Lodge. I have never fished FG before so this will be my maiden voyage.

Thanks for the heads up on trolling/down riggers. I have two down riggers on my boat and a nice fish finder. I would be a lot more interested in fishing for quantify rather than quality so the pup macs and kokes sound enticing.

I don't plan on keeping any macs. For years I've seen pics of the monsters that come out of that reservoir and I have a lot of respect for those fish. We may keep a few kokes if we catch any though.

Any suggestions on where to start trolling is always appreciated. Thanks again for the help!

Brady
[signature]
[quote BMURR]Huge thanks for the suggestions. We're staying at the Flaming Gorge Lodge. I have never fished FG before so this will be my maiden voyage.

Any suggestions on where to start trolling is always appreciated. Thanks again for the help!

Brady[/quote]

Looks like you will be on the Utah side
I don't fish down their so don't know a lot about where to fish, I fish WY side most of the time.
I would look for water no deeper than 140' the lakers on the bottom are about 100' deep.
North Skull N40°55.086' W109°30.565' on both sides of lake. on the south side you will find lake trout more kokes at this waypoint going west.

a cross from Jarvies canyon on the south side you will see a point. kokes there.
FG004 Waypoint N40°55.220' W109°29.100'
if you look at a google earth map you will see what looks like a big foot coming out sometimes their are kokes there. north side.
[signature]
If you want you can PM me and i'll give you all the info I have to get you into fish for the scouts>
[signature]
We caught a lot of pups along the east wall of Jarvies Bay last weekend, while trolling rainbow colored Rapalas at 70ft and 1.8mph. Kokes were up around 50ft, but we caught them on Hyperplaid Signature Dodgers with either a pink squid trailing 12-inches behind, or a Serpent spoon in Tequila Sunrise trailing 20-inches behind. We did best with a 10ft setback for kokes too. Fishing was spotty, and the kokes are on the move, so move around if your not marking them. Pups are also great to eat if you're hoping to give the kids some fish to try.

Lots of bass active in the shallows, basically everywhere you cast along the rocky shoreline in the canyon. We fished for them about an hour, and caught about 20 each. Most were small, 4-8 inches, but we boated a few up to 14-inches using 3-inch curly tailed grubs in watermelon on a 1/4oz jig head. Kids will love that action!

Hope it helps and good luck! Ryno
[signature]
Thank you for the help Ryno! This is great!

Brady
[signature]
Thanks liketrolling!! I will let you know how we do!

Brady
[signature]
PM sent! Thank you!

Brady
[signature]