Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanele 8-25
Today was great at Jordanelle. I got a bunch of advice from a guy at sportsmans warehouse on how to catch bass, but none of it seemed to work. But i tried out pop gear for the first time with a worm and caught a bunch of trout. I think we landed about 10 rainbows with 5-7 that got off as well as other strikes and nibbles that didn't hook them. Just using weights and a worm or pop gear and a worm while trolling. We also caught 2 tiny smallmouths, one on a worm, and the other on a trolling crankbait. We were not able to catch any larger bass or perch, which was the main reason we went there today. The trout fishing is doing excellent there and we had a great time.

For bass and perch i would like some advice. I was throwing Texas rigged, weightles and carolina rigged as well as wacky rig. We were throwing them toward the shoreline at the steep cliffs as well as doing the same with crankbaits. Nothing. We went to the shallower area to cast our senkos and jig with maribou jigs tipped with worm but nothing. I've heard there are a ton of bass and perch here but we were not able to locate many.
[signature]
If they are like the smallies at East Canyon, they're deeper now, especially in the daylight. Vertical jigging or dropshotting at 35-40 feet might be required. Tube jigs, 4" worms, Gulp minnows and the like will do. You can also try spoons snapped up off the bottom, then allowed to flutter back.
[signature]
[quote fishingchef]
For bass and perch i would like some advice. I was throwing Texas rigged, weightles and carolina rigged as well as wacky rig. We were throwing them toward the shoreline at the steep cliffs as well as doing the same with crankbaits. Nothing. We went to the shallower area to cast our senkos and jig with maribou jigs tipped with worm but nothing. I've heard there are a ton of bass and perch here but we were not able to locate many.[/quote]

A few comments to see if I can help.

1. "I was throwing Texas rigged, weightles and carolina rigged as well as wacky rig."

All of those can work but it is often more important what kind of jig or plastic is used as opposed to how it was rigged. What were the jigs and in what colors?

2. " We were throwing them toward the shoreline at the steep cliffs as well as doing the same with crankbaits. Nothing."

In spite of what guys see on TV and read about, your results aren't that surprising at Jordanelle. Rocky shorelines and cliffs are good places to hit there early in the season, but as the summer progresses, most of the bass, especially the good ones, leave these areas and follow the perch. This is by far the biggest "error" I see in guys that don't catch much up there. Like I say, follow the perch. Look for grassy areas and where the grasses end and interfaces open water, like a channel or margin into an open area. These spots hold lots of bass, sometimes staggering numbers of them.

3. "We went to the shallower area to cast our senkos and jig with maribou jigs tipped with worm but nothing. "

On my last trip, I still caught them shallow, but they are localized. If you aren't getting bites in short order, move. If perch or small bass are there, they will nibble on worm tipped jigs.

Senkos are one of my favorite baits up there, but some days, they just don't want them much. Learn the dropshot rig and you will have more options.

4. " If they are like the smallies at East Canyon, they're deeper now, "

This is the time of year when they start to do that, but as stated above, many are still shallow. I had a recent excellent bite in water between 5 and 10 ft deep.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
[signature]
Try curly tail jigs. I like chartreuse but have an assortment. Sometimes they want a different color. I was at starvation one year. I three white, yellow, chartreuse at them with no bite and an occasional follow. As soon as I put smoke colored on they wouldn't leave it alone. Early morning bass will be shallow. Try top water stuff. As the sun goes up they will go deep. Look for drop offs, weed lines etc...
[signature]